Chapter 38 - The trap

Bartholomew's pov:

I got home around noon when I saw tracks on the trail. Alexander wasted no time and sent a scout to look for me. I followed the tracks that led to my hut. I carefully looked around while I stayed hidden behind some trees. I saw a figure circling the hut trying to see if anyone was inside. I suddenly recognized who it was. Much to my surprise, Jordan was ready to enter the cabin! I should have known better that boy scouts aren't that sloppy.

I approached him as quietly as I could in the blink of an eye and grabbed him from behind.

-"What are you doing here?" I asked him as I tightened the loop of my arms around his neck.

-"Bartholomew at last I have found you!" he said with great difficulty.

-"What do you want here Jordan?" I insisted.

-"I came here to warn you! Elektra is going to betray you!"

-"How did you manage to find me?"

-"I wouldn't be your Beta if I couldn't do that," he boasted. "Don't forget that I know many things about you"

-"What do you want?"

-"Nothing. Even if it's hard for you to believe it, I am still loyal to you."

-"Did anyone follow you?"

-"Of course not, I am not an amateur. Although the Council's spies are all over the place I managed to flee without being noticed".

-"You risked a lot to come up here" I commented satisfied by his action. Jordan has once again proven to be one of my most loyal partners.

-"For you anything" he confirmed.

-"Good! Because it's time for you to prove it!" I said smiling mischievously and started explaining my plan to him.

Elektra's pov:

Alexander's visit gave me a lot to think about. First I realized that the Council's spies must already know that I secretly met with my father. I can't risk his safety so recklessly. Second, Alexander's insistence on my father's guilt made me doubt whether I should help him or not. Is there any chance that Alexander is telling me the truth about my father? Why did he come here to warn me? Does he care that much?

No, no my father loves me. He wouldn't do anything bad to me. He is a bit rough but he never lied to me. He always took care of me.

I banished all the bad thoughts from my mind and continued my job. It was already nine in the evening and I had yet many things to do.

I don't know what Alexander's intentions are and I honestly don't care to find out. Why doesn't he stay with his mate and leave me alone? Why does he keep messing with me?

I realize now that father was right about him and his family. He is our enemy and wants to destroy us. That's why he follows me everywhere and framed my father. He found his mate and yet he tries to look supportive and nice to me. Everybody knows that a wolf is committed only to his mate. Then what does he want from me?

A knock on the door disturbed my peace. John, my guard entered.

-"Alpha, our previous Beta is outside and wants to talk to you"

-"Jordan what does he want? Tell him to enter."

After some seconds Jordan came inside: his posture always selfishly annoying. I continued revising some files when he cleared his throat and said:

-"Good evening Elektra"

-"Good evening. Actually it's Alpha to you" I scolded him. He rolled his eyes on my comment and kept on.