Chapter 61 - A night full of surprises

Alexander's pov:

Monica and I met each other at college. We were both very young and ambitious. Monica is human and even though she knows about our kind, she doesn't have a problem. She's always been supportive and understanding. Seeing her again already brightened my spirits.

We went to a fancy restaurant to have dinner. We were having a really good time talking about our current lives and trying to catch up with everything. We mostly talked about our jobs and our common past. We were having a great time talking about all the embarrassing moments we shared together when suddenly I felt my wolf stirred happily into my head. It was then that I saw Elektra with this Andros getting inside. She was wearing a very sexy pink cocktail dress and had her hair up. Seeing her smiling standing at this man's side made my blood boil. They sat four tables across ours. They seemed to having a very good time. Before allowing myself to get angry and ruin our night I decided to concentrate on Monica who all this time was watching me intensely. Monica doesn't deserve it at all.

-"Are you all right?" she asked me while she put her hand on mine.

-"Yes, yes...sorry I got distracted....."

-"From the beautiful redhead sitting across the room" she commented. "I see. She is very beautiful. A werewolf isn't she?"

-"Yes...How do you know?"

-"I haven't lost my talent yet....." she said self complacently. "You know her?" she asked me with her beautiful almond brown eyes.

-"I am afraid yes.......She is my mate" I sadly admitted.

-"What? Your mate?" she asked incredulously opening her eyes widely.

-"It is a very long  and sad story ....." I told her in a serious tone.

-"Do you want us to leave?"

-"No, of course not. Her presence won't spoil our night. I promise you that!"

-"You don't spoil anything. I can imagine how inconvenient it is to be in the same room with your ex"

-"Don't worry about it. This doesn't affect me as much as you may think"

-"As you wish. If you change your mind don't hesitate to tell me"

-" Okay. So you work as an executive at Label Corporation" I commented trying to change the topic of the conversation which was starting to get awkward.

-"Indeed"

-"What about your personal life? Are you married?"

-"No, although I got there once....."

-"And what prevented you from doing so?"

-"It wasn't the right time...." she said sadly.

-"And now?"

-"Now what?"

-"Is there someone in your life right now?" I asked looking her straight in the eyes.

-"No, I am single and very happy..." she said with a smile.

-"I'm glad" I commented returning the smile.

-"Are you happy that I'm single or because I'm happy?" she wondered.

-"Both" I told her cockily without losing eye contact with her.

-"Oh! And how about you? Are you happy Alex?"

-"I'm trying...... I've been able to make amends with my past, restore my family's fortune, and solve many of my pack's problems."

-"Good for you.... What about your personal life?"

-"There is no personal life unfortunately..."

-"Is it due to the redhead?" she said and looked at Elektra.

-"Partially...."

-"So she was the one who denied the bond. Am I right?"

-"Kind of .....But it's really more complicated" I tried to explain.

-"Then I wish you from the bottom of my heart that everything will be resolved soon."

-"Thanks Monica, I really appreciate it, although I don't think things will get any better..." I said giving her a big smile and placed my hand on top of hers. Our faces came close and we stayed there until we were interrupted by someone standing over us. It was none other than Elektra herself!

-"What a nice coincidence!" she exclaimed ......in annoyance!

-"Hello Elektra" I greeted her coldly.

-"Hello!" Monica said smiling causing a strange reaction on Elektra's face.

-"I'm Monica, nice to meet you" Monica continued offering her hand to her: A move that took Elektra by surprise.

-"Nice...... to meet you too....." Elektra said and gave her hand unwillingly.

-"Do you want to sit with us?" Monica asked her, taking all of us by surprise.

-"Oh, no, no....My boyfriend waits for me at our table" Elektra said pointing at her table.

-"Oh, I see....." Monica commented and turned her gaze towards me.

-"I just passed by to greet you. I am gonna leave now...Alexander nice to see you again and Monica nice to meet you" Elektra said and walked away.

-"So that was your mate. No one can deny that she is a very beautiful woman" Monica commented once Elektra was gone.

-"Yes she is.... But you know something? Kindness and intelligence trumps beauty" I told her firmly.

-"Oh.....you think?" she asked in surprise.

-"Of course! Character is more important than beauty."

-"Your words are filled with pain. She hurt you, didn't she?" she asked trying to confirm what she has figured out already.

-"A lot..." I confessed. It was time to express my feelings to someone other than myself.

-"I know the feeling. I've been there" Monica said sadly.

-"Who dared to hurt you and is still alive?" I asked angrily.

-"A very arrogant and heartless man" she said as she blew out the air she was holding.

-"I can take care of him if you wish...." I said holding her hand.

-"Trust me. He doesn't worth it!"

-"If you say so....but I will be here if you change your mind"

-"You know what? Dinner suddenly turned out to be very sad. Do you mind if we leave?" she asked.

-"Not at all" I said smiling and signaled to the waiter to bring us the check. After paying the bill, I quickly got up and helped Monica up. I touched her back and led her to the exit. As we left, my wolf stirred in my head with worry. I know he doesn't like touching another woman, but I need to make sure of Elektra's feelings for me. And I'm pretty sure I caught a hint of jealousy in her eyes as I escorted Monica out and that was enough to make my night look wonderful.

Although Monica is a very wonderful and caring woman, I know now that I cannot be with her when my mate is still alive and so close to me. In different circumstances, I would definitely give us a chance, but not right now.... My wolf is howling inside my head to bring our mate back and even though I am deeply hurt by her behavior, I can't ignore the fact that in our few moments together we had a great time. All I have to do is make sure she has the same feelings I have for her. I just need a way to find out.

-"Monica I am desperate."

-"I see...You can't get over her....Is there anything I can do for you?"

-"I.......really don't know......."

-"Please, don't underestimate me so much.....I think I can help you"

-"How?" I wondered.

-"I have something on my mind" she said mischievously.