Chapter 43 - Rescue Mission

Alexander's pov:

-"What? No, no, no. I've told you before; I can't jeopardize your safety" I insisted.

-"I didn't ask for your opinion. I'll come no matter what you think." she contradicted.

-"No, you won't" I said in an imposing way when she gave me a stern look.

-"Look, it's Elektra's life that is at stake. I won't back off. I don't care if you are the Alpha of this pack. You can't expect me to sit quietly here and wait. I'll come along and there is nothing you can do to prevent me" she argued.

-"Ok, ok......" I said raising my hands up defeated and headed towards the parking lot where the rest of the team was waiting for us at the SUVs.

We took the dirt road that led into the forest. We traveled for some hours until the road narrowed. It was so narrow that there was no room for a conventional car to pass. We parked the cars in a clearing and continued on foot. With us were twenty well trained warriors, four scouts who were always ahead of us checking the area and four of my personal guard. Roxanne and I were going ahead while all the others followed behind. According to Roxanne's estimations, we were in the middle of the rout, when something weird happened: a rustling was heard behind some bushes. Everyone was ready to attack and face whatever it was until Esmeree showed up. I looked at her in surprise and ordered the others to back off.

-"Esmeree what are you doing here?" I wondered.

-"I am heading to the elder's village. One of the elders was murdered five days ago".

-"What? How? Do you know who did it?" I wondered.

-"He was beheaded. We suspect that Bartholomew was behind. He must be looking for the holy sword. It can't be explained otherwise" Esmeree explained.

-"The holy sword?" I wondered as he gave me a sharp look asking for my silence. We both knew my father was the guardian of the holy sword and when he died this responsibility passed to me. This is something that few people knew about it, including Esmeree.

-"Where are you going?" Esmeree asked me.

-"I am heading to a cabin to the mountain. Maybe it is Bartholomew's hiding place"

-"It is" Esmeree confirmed.

-"How do you know?" I asked with wide eyes.

-"You know better than I, that such questions are completely unnecessary" Esmeree told me and continued "You must be very careful up there. Your enemy will strike when he is at least expected".

-"What do you mean by that?"

-"Promise me you won't forget my words when time comes" Esmeree said and took the road to the elder's village after she greeted us.

We started to climb the mountain. Restlessness, anxiety, worry and a strange feeling that something bad was going to happen overcame me. I hope everything will go well but even if it won't I am prepared.

We took the road that Roxanne indicated to us. It was a small path in the forest. The vegetation was thick with large trees surrounding the area and blocking it from the view of the sun and in some places the path was rough and steep.

We had been walking for about two hours when we finally reached a clearing. Our scouts were far ahead and we decided to camp there and get a few minutes rest.

After half an hour I was informed by the scouts that they  found a cabin a kilometer afar from us. They watched the place for several minutes and confirmed the existence of two men around the cabin premises, but did not see a woman. Damn it! Elektra wasn't here!

I told my men to watch the cabin and inform us of everything until we arrived. When I closed the mind link I informed my soldiers that we would take a fifteen minute break and head to the cabin.

Roxanne immediately asked me about Elektra. When I told her that my scouts didn't find her she insisted to look better. I understand her frustration, I felt the same way when my scouts informed me about this, but we have to face the facts. Unfortunately Elektra is not here. But there's a good chance it's Bartholomew, and I'm not going to miss it. We have to catch this b@st@rd.

After the fifteen minute break we started walking towards the cabin again. We found our scouts scattered everywhere in the area.

With careful steps we walked towards the cabin and waited for our attack.

-"You should stay here and wait! It is too dangerous for you!" I advised Roxanne in a strict tone that didn't give place for arguments. She gave me a disapproving look that didn't affect me at all.

-"Out of the question, I'll come with you" she insisted.

-"No, you heard the man. Elektra is not in. Moreover, you only came with us to show us the way not to fight" I contradicted. Although it was obvious she didn't like the turn things got, she didn't object further and remained in her spot with her arms crossed making a pout.

I ignored her antics and signaled my men to attack. We surrounded the cabin and within seconds managed to catch the two men. None of them were Bartholomew or his beta, Jordan. Where were those two?

Roxanne insisted that this was Bartholomew's cabin. If it was why weren't they here? We searched the whole area to no avail. There was nobody else. We found leftover food, unwashed dishes and unmade beds. In the bedroom inside there were ropes on the bed. Someone was tied up. But who? And why?

After looking everywhere we decided to leave. It was already late and neither of our prisoners was very helpful. They didn't tell us anything beyond what we already knew. I returned to the place where I had left Roxanne to pick her up when to my great surprise she was nowhere around.

-"Oh my Goddess this woman can make me crazy!" I thought to myself.

I searched for her everywhere to no avail. I also askerd the other warriors about her disappearance but no one knew anything about her. Where did she go? What part of stay here didn't she understand?

Roxanne's pov:

As Alexander and the other warriors left, I remained in my place watching them search everywhere for Elektra and the others when I heard voices in a distance. I followed the voices and to my great surprise I saw Bartholomew pulling Elektra with a rope. Her hands were tied and her mouth was gagged. She looked frightened. I realized that Bartholomew must have figured out that Elektra wasn't his real daughter.

-"Oh my Goddess I must save her!" I thought to myself.

I approached them cautiously, being careful not to be noticed, and began to follow them from a distance. Bartholomew was pulling her wildly, cursing her and threatening her. I was afraid he would kill her. I remembered I had a cell phone in my pocket. I took it out, texted Alexander telling him where I was, and put it back in my pocket as I continued to follow the others. I am gonna save my little girl no matter what.....