Edith

"This is your room." Luca says placing down some of my bags. "My mom's room is down the hallway and the bathroom is the first door to your left. I'll be in the basement." He says and turns to face me.

Lucinda stayed back, she said she needed time to tie loose ends before moving. She also pointed out that moving so close to John's release date would be suspicious. Which is why I am to live with Harper and Luca for the year, until we finish our senior year of high school.

It's been 3 months, the entire summer. That's the longest we'd been apart since Lucinda took me in. Growing up together from the ages of 12, and living next door to each other, and going to the same schools. We were always together.

Luca said that 3 months wouldn't matter. That it wouldn't change a thing. That it wouldn't feel like a long time. But to me it felt like eternity.

"Something is off, different." I say and he smiles.

"You know me better than anyone, Edie." I never understood why he called me that. Sounds like an abbreviation for something. ED? But I don't mind, at least not much. He's the only one to call me that. So it kind of feels special. He takes a seat on the bed and exhales. "I met someone. I, um, I met this girl a few days ago. She goes to our school, I think you'll really like her."

"A girl?" I ask.

"Yeah,"

"Is she your new best friend here?" I'm not sure on how to word certain things right. I can be blunt, and unfiltered, yes, but when it comes to stuff like this. Feelings. I'm not the best at communicating.

"No, of course not. You are my best friend, that's never changing." He sighs and I can tell his mind is filled with thoughts. "You remember middle school and high school? The other kids there? Well it's like that. People have other friends, like Henry and Cameron. They were my friends too. This girl, she's like a friend... for now."

For now? What's that supposed to mean?

"Okay."

"Yeah, I'll let you unpack and rest. Let me know if you need anything, seriously." He turns and heads out the room. I look over at my luggage and lift a bag onto the bed. I open it and start taking out some of the clothing. Most of my clothing since knowing Luca have been his hand-me-downs. All his old clothing from before he found himself. Most of it from middle school, which meant I had to go shopping for my own soon since they had started to fit me tighter.

"Hey, you should get some sleep. You can worry about unpacking later." I turn to see Harper leaning against the door frame smiling. I nod and move the clothing to the side of the bed. She smiles and turns off the light before closing the door.

This wasn't going to be like the sleepovers I'd had with Luca during the 6th grade.