~It's just a bad dream ~- Prologue III

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains violence, sickness, and death

"It's just an actual nightmare"

Karlsruhe, Germany 07/21/2004:

My mother's still asleep. Not because I'm up extra early, no. Because she really can't do much more than that. It has gotten a lot worse in the last one and a half years. At some point we needed help from outside, so we hired a nurse. My mother tried to fight this decision for as long as she could, but eventually, she gave up. This also meant that I had to get more involved with my friends from the Mob. As a consequence, that man from 1.5 years ago isn't the only one keeping me up at night. But I know it's worth it if it means that I can provide optimal help for my mother. Even if it's not about drugs that save her life, anymore, but instead about a pain-free death. I know it's coming. She's not the same anymore and I'm not the kid I was, when I started my -well- criminal career. I might not be 18, but I've seen a lot. I think that counts.

So, while I get ready for school, I call the nurse to let her know that I won't be home at the usual time but be gone for a little bit longer. Luca called me yesterday, basically telling me that it's time to go collect some money again. I grab my heavy bag with small plastic zip-backs with pills hidden in and under my books and head to school. We have found that high school is a very lucrative place to sell performance-enhancing drugs. This way I can learn, the school won't get suspicious, I can take care of my mother and work for the money at the same time. On days like this, I sell and sit in class until the bell rings. While the other kids go home or do some stupid shit, I get picked up from my employers and we'd drive to the address given to us to collect what's theirs. All within the city itself. No other cities, no suburbs, or anything of the sort. They say that that would be crossing the territory lines and would only endanger the family.

The car drives up to me and I get in. I'm greeted with the usual "Wie war die Schule, Kleine?" ("How was school, champ?") and wave them off. The radio is playing the same station and the conversations go back to the usual jabbering about work and family stuff. The only thing different is that Marco is with us. His demeanor however is as calm as it always is. I give him a nod and he gives me a warm smile.

The car comes to a stop in front of an older house and the big guy gets out turns and calls to us "Viel Spaß euch!" ("Have fun"). Luca scoffs and I keep myself from shaking my head. 'Cold bastard', I think. Luca starts the car and drives off. Now I'm alone with him and his father. He switches lines to the driveway for the highway leading out of the city. I turn as I read the sign and tense up. I look at Luca through the rear mirror. His eyes catch mine and he realizes that I'm uncomfortable.

"Entspann dich. Wir brauchen einfach ein bisschen mehr - Diskretion. Und deine Hilfe natürlich." ("Realx, we just need a bit more - discretion. And your help of course."), he says to me with a reassuring smile.

"Okay... und warum fahren wir dann so weit raus? Was habt ihr vor, dass wir mehr 'Diskretion' brauchen? ("Okay...and why exactly are we driving so far out? What are we gonna do that requires that level of 'discretion'?"), I ask while I check the car for any signs of what's about to happen. I spot a sports bag under Marco's seat, but that's it.

"Lass dich überraschen!" ("It's a surprise!"), Luca says looking at me with a smile for a bit too long to call it safe driving. He looks back at the traffic, but not before exchanging a glance with his father. I don't miss the tensity in it. Something is wrong this time. I have a bad feeling about this.

'Fuck! Die wollen mich loswerden. ' ('Fuck! They wanna get rid of me.'), is the first explanation I find. I adjust my posture and put on my cool exterior when I hear a small thud from behind me. I lean forward and raise my eyebrows at Marco.