~32~ Catching up

Shared POV:

Odessa, Ukraine 07/18/2009

The parents were briefed, the agents anxious, and the car barely driving, but they made it to their destination. After checking the front of the house, they helped the couple out of the vehicle, each agent guiding one parent to the front door. Natasha pressed the small, multifunctional doorbell, and a familiar, tall, blackhead in civilian clothes opened the door. Her blue eyes showed relief as she saw the two agents and their companions, but concern replaced it quickly.

"Come in.", Agent Hill said opening the entrance for them to step inside and looking past them to ensure the safe house stayed undiscovered.

_________________________________________

"They won't tell you anything until they have their daughter back.", Natasha argued, pacing around in the small dining room. Her bones hurt, but she couldn't stop moving.

"You don't even know who these guys are. How do you want to find someone if you don't even know who it is, that you're looking for?", Hill replied calmly sitting at the round wooden table, turned towards the redhead.

"They work for Aslan. They found us... somehow and took the girl, because they knew that the parents wouldn't risk their daughter's well-being by talking to us. We're lucky they even came with us."

"They didn't just magically "somehow" find us.", Kate made some air quotations and the room's attention was focused on her, for the first input she had for this discussion. "I found this under the spare tire in the trunk.", she said and flung the smashed remains of a square-shaped device from the windowsill she sat on over to the table. "Yes, that's a tracker. Military-grade. And there's only one person I can think of that had the chance to plant it on us.", Kate concluded her statement.

"Hosseini.", Natasha said the name out loud, clearly pissed. "That little сволочь"

"Guys, I get that you feel like you have to bring Daria back to her parents. I will tell Fury about Hosseini and I can ask him to send you after them, but I doubt that he'll let you go.", Maria offered but didn't get the reaction she hoped for.

Instead, Romanoff's demeanor changed from unsettled to unsettlingly calm. She sat on the chair in front of Maria, her legs far apart, leaning forward.

"Look, Maria, this can go two ways. You either give us permission to take care of it, or we'll just do it behind your backs. You decide. Either way, we're going.", she gave her an opportunity to choose, even if there wasn't actually a choice to be made.

"Okay.", Agent Hill replied and got up to call in the new revelations.

Kate and Nat shared a look both nodded, then Natasha took off. She caught up with Maria in the hallway, to get an answer to a question she had been dying to ask since they entered the building.

She pulled on Hill's arm and scanned the room for other agents before she dared to ask the agent a question of this importance. The blue eyes waited for her to be ready.

"How's Barton?", she whispered and received a kind smile.

"He's alright. The last I checked his mission seemed to be close to wrapping up. He should be home soon.", she explained even though the information she had was already several hours old.

"Mission's a bust?", Natasha asked, considering the time span of three weeks, he told her about.

"Yeah.", she answered and then turned away. "I'm gonna make a call now."

Natasha nodded, then went back to the dining room, where she opposite to her expectation didn't find her partner.

_______________________________________

Kate re-entered the dining room with a plate in hand, to see her partner slouching on her chair. She pushed the plate across the table, which came to a stop, in front of Natasha.

She looked up at the sandwich and then at Kate raising an eyebrow.

"They didn't have much left, but I managed to make you a PJ. You haven't eaten anything yet.", Kate explained, but the assassin seemed defensive.

"So?", she asked staring at the soft bread.

"So, you should eat something. Before I make you.", Kate went along, teasing her partner, who simply huffed, then took a bite.

There it was! The tiniest little smile in the corner of the redhead's mouth. That was all Kate needed. Enjoying the success, she leaned back in her seat and smiled.

"You look like a dickhead, when you smile like that.", Natasha commented with her mouth still half full. The sweetness and the feeling of her stomach filling was something she didn't know she needed.

"Thanks.", Kate answered, happy that at least the banter between them stayed the same. But the feeling didn't last long as the weight of their future actions pushed the happiness inside them away. The silence became just as heavy as their hearts.

"Have you ever done anything like that before?", Kate asked as Natasha took the last bite.

"Like what?", Natasha asked, even though she knew what Kate was talking about.

"What we're about to do to them, I mean.", Kate stuttered around using the actual word for their plans.

"Yes, I have."

"Was it worth it?"

"No.", Nat answered truthfully. "But I didn't do it for the right reason. This time's different."

Kate nodded, then looked down.

"Kathrine, you don't have to come with me. I can do this on my own if uncomfortable with it.", the spy offered, looking at her partner with understanding.

"I messed it up. I fix it. There is no choice for me to make. We'll go as soon as we can.", Kate admitted to her mistake and to the mission ahead to fix it.

"Then we should start preparing."
_______________________________________

Thank you si much for reading this chapter, even if it's more of a filler one
Because I was sick for a while, I couldn't upload but I hope you don't mind

~966~