~29~ No reason to celebrate

TRIGGER WARNING: car chasing, guns, blood, violence, death, explosion, guilt

Shared POV:

Tehran, Iran 07/18/2009

In the light of its prosecutors, the grey limousine cruised down the stone path, through the slim roads of the resting village below, waking up its residents.

"Fuck!", Romanoff cussed, as the first bullet broke through the glass of the backside. She spun the wheel around to take a sharp left, then curving around a stray dog, to then regain control of the steering wheel before they would have crashed into the nearest house, the way one of the five huge SUV's following them did."You okay?", she called to the person beside her who kept her head low.

"Mhm", was all Kate could get out, after the shock of that bullet flying right by her head.

"Here, take that.", Natasha pulled the gun from her seat and Kate took it sitting back up again clenching onto her seat with her free hand as they drifted onto the freeway lanes. She opened her window to lean outside before checking the number of bullets she had.

"Aim at the tires.", Natasha advised her as she sped up even more.

"Duh.", Kate answered and turned out the window, aiming at the four cars behind them, still shooting at them.

The wind was strong, pulling her loose strains in all directions. Aiming at the shooters first, she shot one out of his window. His dead body fell out of the car hitting the concrete at an extremely unhealthy angle. Concentrating on the other cars, she shot the tires off one that started to drift uncontrollably, crashing into its neighboring friend, driving them off the road into the wall of a mountain. The crash resulted in an explosion lighting up the otherwise black nature.

While achieving this win the other two cars had gotten closer to them, to the point where the one without a shooter started ramming the limousine.
Two. She had two shots left. There was no way she could do this with two shots. She slipped back inside and closed the window.

"What are you doing? Get them off!", Natasha shouted her way, fighting hard to keep control over their vehicle.

"How? I'm never gonna make it with two shots.", Kate shouted back frustrated. The other car had caught up with them as well and gave them a hard nudge from the other side so that Kate hit her head against the window of her door. Frustrated she punched the glass. "The fuck should I do, mh?", she shouted at her boss awaiting an order as the cars on both sides started to lock them in between themselves. The high-pitched sound of the metals scratching against each other mixed terribly with the loud sound of shots being fired at her door window and the roaring of the motors.

"I don't know. Just do something!", Natasha shouted frustrated about their situation.

"Not helping!", Kate shouted back looking at the many marks that the bullets had engraved into the glass. "We still got guns in the back right?!"

"Yeah, in the trunk. No way you can reach'em!", Natasha argued while holding her ground against the other cars.

"Not the point. Keep the car steady and break when I tell you to.", Kate ordered and undid her seatbelt.

"What are you doing?!", Natasha said turning her head away from the street momentarily.

"Fix this. Head down!", she answered unphased and lowered her window opening the space for the shooter. Aiming at his head, she immediately pulled the trigger and pulled the machine gun out of his hands and it scattered onto the ground between the cars. She fired the second and last shot directly at the driver's neck, which resulted in a spring fountain of blood, painting her arms with dark red sprinkles.

"NOW!", Kate shouted at her partner, who pulled the brakes as the driverless car drove off the street into a bunch of trees.

The single remaining SUV drove past diagonally as their car came to a quick stance, even though its driver had also pushed his brakes. The pair had created quite a bit of distance between them and their enemy as well as the right amount of time to get some ammo. Their car was standing horizontally, with Natasha's side showing. Kate got out and let Natasha scoot out, as she crawled over to the trunk. Pulling out two SCAR-Ls, she handed one to her partner and they stayed crouching behind their car. Their breaths were heavy from exhaustion, but they waited on alert until the first shots were fired at the scratched-up side of the car. Splitting up to cover the car's front and back, they each took their position and Natasha took a first peak.

Three, she motioned at Kate who nodded in response and got up. Resting her forearm on the trunk she pulled the trigger letting about 7 bullets fly their way. One dropped dead as she ducked back into cover.

Natasha on the other hand got up and fired eight shots then nodded and walked towards the other side. Nothing happened and confused Kate got up. Looking over, she saw the two other men lying dead on the floor. Each one penetrated with four bullets. She followed the spy with frightful admiration. And while the sound of sirens crept closer ever so slightly, they pulled the dead men's bodies off the road.

___________________________________

The tires whirled up the dust and sand only visible in the headlights while the car continuously battled its way through the tough terrain. Inside the two women were drained of power, slouching in their seats trying to keep a clear mind with every ounce of energy left in them, under the clouded night sky. 

The silence was comfortable, since neither of them had the energy or will to speak up, wound up in their own thoughts. Natasha kept her eyes on the street numbed by tiredness and purpose. Telling herself that it was fine. She did the right thing.

The voices inside Kate's head and heart screamed the exact opposite. Her teeth chewed on her lower lip and her knuckles turned white under the red blood and the blue bruises. Her nails dug into the palms of her hands as she tried to withstand the overwhelming guilt.

"How're you?", Natasha checked in, even though it cost her a lot of energy to speak and listen.

"I'm fine. You.", Kate replied not turning her eyes away from the pitch-black night she stared at.

"Me too.", she answered, but neither of them was fine. Feeling tired, guilty, and alone, they reached for comfort.

Their hands slid into each other with no intent to let the other go and so they drove off, sharing a small comfort in a big and scary world. 

___________________________________

Thanks for reading this chapter
Hope I mixed it up nice

~1117~