~9~ Half a Bottle

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains alcohol

Shared POV

United States, New York City 07/14/2009:

Natasha had unconsciously watched Kate stride towards the bar but then lost sight of her without realizing it. She had been winded up in her worry about the pending mission and how close Kate had gotten to her trigger points. So, it was no surprise that she flinched when Kate put down a half-full bottle of Whiskey and two glasses with ice cubes on the table right in front of her.

"You okay?", she asked when she saw that she clearly interrupted some flow of thought within the other woman.

"Yeah.", she said looking at Kate and after she didn't react to it she repeated herself, "Yeah. I'm fine."

Kate sat down across from her and pulled both glasses towards her. She filled them and pushed one of them across the table towards Natasha.

"So, that's what you came up with? Are you sure that's good for your stomach?", she asked taking the glass and smelling the whiskey inside.

"I know my limits. Plus, this might be the last alcohol I get to drink...ever. I'm not gonna waste it on that "beer" and you shouldn't either."

"I guess you're right. Well then, 'Prost'!", she leaned forward to clink glasses.

Kate reciprocated the gesture and their glasses met just as their eyes locked into each other.

"Prost!" ("Cheers!"), Kate whispered, not managing to get out more than that after seeing the intensity that those emerald eyes carried. It was a sight she could barely keep her eyes off. She wanted to see more of it. Every time she made Natasha smile the intensity was joined with a sparkle that almost hypnotized her. 

Natasha couldn't help but stare at those amber eyes, that even in this dimmed light, seemed too light to be real. They were inherited by a form of honest curiosity that was fascinating to her. And even though she suspected that they must be hiding some truly disturbing secrets, the way they still seemed so authentic and unapologetically vulnerable -something she believed she would never be brave enough to be- amazed her beyond her own understanding.

Several minutes of staring and overthinking go by until they both emptied their glass.

"Do you want another?", Kate asked while pouring some more liquid into her glass. Looking down to do so was the first moment they had interrupted their eye contact.

"Sure."Natasha didn't actually want another but she also didn't like the idea of this night being over already. She wanted to drag it out as far as she could. She didn't want to go back to S.H.I.E.L.D. just to lay in a bed unable to sleep. She didn't want to leave the side of the woman that made her feel so good. Not before she had to. "So, I know that there's no family but is there anyone else I should inform if something were to happen to you? A boyfriend or a friend?"

"No, there's no one. And also... guys aren't really my thing.", she was nervous to admit it. Not because she was scared of her sexuality or what people thought of it, but because she didn't want Natasha to treat her differently. They couldn't afford anything to stand in between them if they wanted this mission to go right.

"And what is your thing?", Natasha asked blatantly with an amused, almost flirtatious, smirk.

"Wouldn't you like to know?", Kate simply answered and let her fingertip run along the rim of her glass while she held eye contact with Natasha who took another sip from her glass while she stared at Kate without blinking once.

Their knees touched under the table but neither of them pulled away. You could cut the tension with a knife. Neither of them made a move on the other. But the look they shared was of an intensity that even a stranger could've been able to tell that these women were forcing themselves to restrain. Restrain from pursuing what they wanted. And what they wanted right now ... was each other. They felt their hearts beating hard and fast in their chests and the moment stretched out into hundreds as both tried their best not to give in.

"Can I interest you ladies in a drink?" A guy had come to the table and stopped to offer them a drink. Apparently, not all strangers have the social skills or basic understanding of human interaction to see what was going on.

Kate's head slowly turned to her side while she held eye contact with Natasha for as long as she could. "No, thank you.", her tone was nice yet firm. The smile on her face was clearly faked but that didn't seem to reach the guy's consciousness.

He was clearly drunk and stared back at a group of guys. "Come on girls, don't play hard to get. I know you'd like a drink.". He put on a smile he must've assumed to look charming but it looked rather creepy and predatory to the two women. They weren't scared of a guy like that. They were able to defend themselves but he was a danger to any woman who can't.

They shared a look and Kate finished her drink in one sip. "What do you say we get out of here?", Kate asked clearly directing her question towards Natasha.

"Sure thing, sweety.", the drunk guy answered with his creepy-ass smile growing wider.

Natasha just nodded and Kate stood up and took the bottle. "Not you big guy.", she patted his shoulder and his smile fell.

"Whatever. You guys just keep playing hard to get.", he waved them off and went back to his friend group.

"Let's go.", Kate said and tipped her head towards the bar.

"Go where exactly?", Natasha asked confused but already stood up more or less ready to go.

"Just follow me.", she ordered in a deep but calm tone.

She took her hand and they squeezed through the crowd once again. As they pass the bar Kate stops at the counter.

"Hey, Mrs. Garcia.", she called over to the busy woman.

"What's up, kid?", the woman replied while putting away some glasses.

"Can you do me another favor?"

"That depends...", she stopped and looked up at Kate waiting for her answer.

"Can you keep an eye on this guy and his friends? I don't think they have good intentions, you know?", she pointed over at the group of men on the other side of the room. Kate knew that she would do her best to look out for any suspicious behavior since this wasn't the first time that she had pointed out people with questionable motives to her. 

"With pleasure. I'll watch them closely. Thanks for pointing it out, my dear.", she nodded and resumed cleaning the counter.

"Thank you."

"Night, Layla."

"Night, Mrs. Garcia."

_______________________________________

Sorry that it took me so long to continue.

I don't think I will be able to keep up the pace throughout this year of school since it's my last but I'll try to find some sort of rhythm.

I had to split this "scene" up into two chapters and I hope you are excited to find out what happens in the second part.

Thank you so much for reading :)

~1094~