~31~ Breaking Up

Shared POV:

Sevastopol, Ukraine 07/18/2009

After extinguishing every trace of them from the plane and stuffing the luggage into their cars the group left the Sevastopol airport behind. Kate lead them outside the city onto the highway. Maya and Daria slept in her backseat through the light traffic around them.

"Agent Romanoff, how is Mr. Asadi?", she asked through her radio device.

Natasha looked at the man in the seat next to her, who still fought his heavy eyelids. She smiled at the tired man and replied: "Fast asleep."

Karman's head shot up. "I'm not sleeping!", he protested and had both agents cracking up.

"What about my girls?", the father asked concerned and the women stopped laughing.

"They're fine. And actually asleep.", she answered calming the father down. He had protested the decision to separate him from his family, up the two agents eventually managed to convince him that it was safer for them since they couldn't guarantee that they were out of danger.

"What about Hosseini?", Kate asked since he had no radio and she couldn't look into his car.

"Seems like he's doing fine. Though it can't be long till he leaves right?", Natasha questioned, knowing that Kate had memorized the map.

"Ten minutes or so.", she considered looking back at the former agent's car.

"Then let's enjoy the backup for as long as it lasts."

_________________________________________

It didn't take long until the morning finally caught up with them, but with the light came heavy clouds and storming wind as far as one could see. The route was pretty and the nature was beautiful. The bridges carried them over bashing rivers and the roads past the coast of an ominous sea. And even though the day had arrived, the day was dark. Hosseini had left their sides hours ago and the rush hour had filled the streets for several hours until it quieted down. Until the people went back home and they got stuck in traffic once more. It took them four hours to get off the island of Crimea alone. A few stops to relieve themselves and to get some food. Including some coffee and energy drinks.

The rain had started pouring from the sky relentlessly for the last two hours and it was tiring to drive through the harsh weather, even for the people who had slept more than two hours in the last three days. To help Kate stay awake, Maya had suggested to play a game as they had to keep the agent awake for only another hour or two.

"Am I old?", Kate asked the little girl who started giggling and nodding.

"Do I have grey hair?", she asked but the little girl strongly shook her head.

"Am I... do I... am I old?", the little girl stammered, deciding to just repeat Kate's question.

"No.", her mother laughed and then patted Daria's head.

"It's your turn Mama.", the little girl hustled.

"Mh, let's see... Am I a man?", she asked, tickling the little girl's belly as the first shot was fired. Out of a reflex, she covered the little girl who screamed in shock. Kate had ducked but still managed to see the car in front of her skitter over the wet asphalt. Shocked she looked around them to see where the shot came from but she couldn't see anyone through the heavy rain.