~23~Warm Welcome

Shared POV:

Tehran, Iran 07/16/2009

The street had only led them to its dead end where the backsides of several buildings cast their shadows down on the two cars. Natasha leaned forward to look around a little more as the front door opened. Most of the dumpsters were standing in the middle of the allies or were lying around empty and abandoned. The windows were dark, with no lights, no curtains, or other furniture. She tried to make sense of the ongoing events while watching Kate step out and stand behind the bulletproof car door.

"Who're you?", she called over to the stranger who slowly lifted his hands. Kate's grip on the gun in her holster got tighter and she was ready to react to any sudden movements.

"I'm going to reach inside my back pocket.", the stranger said with an English accent and just a little bit of the typical middle-eastern sound shining through his words. And the man did what he said he would do. Carefully he lowered his hands again.

A few meters away Kate held her gun low in her right hand between the car's door and the windshield's rim. The safety was off and her finger was nervously lingering on the trigger. Her pulse quickened when his hand slipped into his pocket but she relaxed when she saw the familiar black leather. The gun stayed where it was nevertheless.
Nat had figured it out by now and stepped outside the car to observe.

Half of the black enveloped flapped down from his lifted hand and revealed an ID. And a badge. Interpol. He was the Interpol agent that had been S.H.I.E.L.D's informant in this instance.

Relieved she lowered her gun and nodded towards Nat. The man casually strolled over to them with big confident and relaxed steps.
"Now let me grant you the answer to your question. My name is Hosseini. That's my last name and the only name I go by around here. What about yours?"

"Sophia and that's fourteen.", Nat stated extending a hand for him to shake. His hands were rough but his grip was tight as expected.
They locked eyes but she found nothing special. The average, well-trained, professional undercover agent. Probably in his mid-forties with a graying hairline and tanned skin. Their hands and eyes parted.

"Well then let me guide you home.", Hosseini smiled and got in his car. The ladies did the same and followed him "home".

_______________________________________

After a nice cruise through the center of the city, they stopped in the northeastern district. Kate had attempted that though the military's presence could not be overlooked the city itself was beautiful. Especially the picture of mountains behind the city's skyscrapers was a sight to be seen even though she couldn't quite enjoy it as much as she would've wished. She opened Natasha's door and held out her hand to help her step outside. And again she found herself staring at the dark red locks shining bright in the sun underneath the white Hijab.

They moved on to ring the doorbell and waited for the homeowners to open. It felt like ages for Kate who became too aware of all the laws she could cross just by being herself. The door was opened by the engineer.

"Welcome to our home.", he extended a hand, and Natasha and Kate both shook it. They took off their shoes before stepping inside. The entrance's tiles were cold but a few steps inside they were standing on a soft carpet with a beautiful pattern.

"We've been giving away some of our belongings already, so it's ehm how do you say it?", he was shyer than Kate had assumed and it was charming to see him so human. Not just a piece of paper with facts and numbers.

"A little spare, maybe?", a calm woman's voice suggested. She came closer and wrapped her arm around her husband's hips. They gave each other a big smile, while her hand rested on her daughter's head. The little girl had wrapped her arms around her mother's leg, hiding behind her.

"Thank you, darling. Ladies this is my wife Maya." His eyes didn't stop admiring her features even when he introduced her.

"Come, sit with us.", with a simple gesture she offered for them to take a seat on their sofas. The three of them walked over and sat down while the couple split up. The husband sat across from them and pushed up his glasses by their black rim.

"How was your flight?", he asked seemingly uncomfortable entertaining them by himself.

"Very well. How do you feel about tonight?", Agent Romanoff was smooth-talking him. It usually helped people to relax when she did that and again it helped. Though the question she asked must've not been the best choice.

"Well, there are really just two ways this can go, right?", a timid smile and a shrug followed the question that sounded more like a statement.

"Don't worry. We've been sent to ensure everything is going exactly as planned. We'll get you and your family out of this mess.", Natasha tried to reassure the man.

"We promise.", Kate added. She meant it. The little girl had looked at her earlier with blue, greyish eyes. The same color as her father's eyes with the same amount of curiosity and shyness. Natasha despised these kinds of promises because, in their line of work, they can rarely be kept. However, that was something to discuss when they'd be alone.

Maya came over with some tea and the kid. "Daria didn't you want to show Baba your new painting?", the mother asked the little girl who let go of her hand and ran over to her father to pull on his instead. Laughing he got up and went with her.

"Let's talk about tonight.", Maya said as crossing her legs.

_______________________________________

Thank you for reading the latest chapter

Yes that was me trying to make a joke

Please, ignore that

~968~