~11~ Stars above the Clouds

TRIGGER WARNING: mentioning of death, violence and scars.

Shared POV:

United States, New York City 07/14/2009:

Kate opened the window and climbed on top of her desk. Natasha passed her the blankets and then the two cups freshly filled with coffee. Kate put all of it down on the metal of the fire escape outside and then extended her hand to Natasha who gradually took it and got up on the table as well.
Kate turned and pushed herself off the windowsill. With a rather loud metallic thud, she landed on the fire escape and extended her hand once more. Natasha ducked underneath the upper half of the window and jumped down as well, making barely any sound when she landed and Kate stood impressed.

Natasha's eyes widened when she looked at the city's skyline in the distance and all the beautiful small lights that brightened up the night. She hadn't taken time to take in the city that she was now part of. At least in theory. Technically she still didn't live here but she had always dreamt of coming to New York.

Kate watched as Natasha's face turned from impressed to admiring. The beauty that laid in this expression was something out of this world. The city lights mirrored in her dark eyes and her expression was soft.

"It's beautiful.", Natasha whispered and Kate turned to look at the city.

"Yeah...", Kate handed her her cup and leaned on the railing with her elbows, while holding hers in both hands. "You must've seen a lot of different places like this." She was careful not to ruin this moment but it felt like a question that was alright to ask.

"Yes. Many places, many jobs. But I never had time to see the pretty places. This is... This is the first time I get to enjoy a view.", Natasha reflected and mirrored Kate's posture.

"Sounds like you've earned this. And a lot more."

"I don't know. I'm not sure I deserve this. It's not like I've been helping anyone on those jobs. I just hurt people.", Natasha admitted. It hurt to say it out loud but she felt unjudged by Kate.

"Doesn't sound like you were left with a choice.", she reasoned.

"I could've chosen not to do it. Others refused to do it. I never did.", Natasha declined the possibility that she was not as bad a person as she felt she was.

"What happened to them?". Carefully she looked to her right side where the other woman was leaning.

"Most of them I never saw again. Some of them disappeared for a while and came back with a bunch of scars.", she shook her head at the memories of young women -girls even- whose torsos were covered in scars. But the worst part always was the empty look in their eyes. Like their souls died that day.

"That's really messed up.", Kate remarked, unable to find any other, more comforting, words.

Natasha nodded in agreement and swallowed the lump in her throat. "What about your scars?"

Kate's hand unconsciously wandered to her thigh. „How'd you know?". She was surprised but not scared.

"I didn't see them until you sat down next to me on the couch. Your tattoo does a good job of covering it. How'd you get them?", she explained tip-toeing in order not to offend or scare Kate away.

"I met some people that wanted something I couldn't give them. It's part of the job, isn't it?", Kate brushed over the topic. She couldn't remember. Every time she tried to remember she couldn't get any further than that stupid fire. One time she put in so much force that she now even knows what happened on the day after. But that achievement came at a great cost.