~24~ Cool Solitude

Shared POV:

Iran, Tehran 07/16/2009

After a long talk with and without Mr. Asadi and some time spent in the kitchen, they sat down in front of a generous but at the same time simple dinner. Pita bread had been served with different delicious-smelling dips and spiced vegetables. They all sat on the floor in a circle around the Plates and bowls. Kate nervously waited for them to start so she can understand how to behave since she didn't want to appear rude. Nat on the other hand sat cross-legged next to her, relaxed and smiling at the little girl. Kate had watched her interact with Daria warmly and with unexpected ease. Hands reached over the plates and the dinner began. Kate mimicked their behavior and started with a bite of her pita with some hummus and a grilled but mild chili.

"Can I ask you something?", Maya asked looking at the two women across from her.

"Of course.", Natasha replied, charming as always.

"Why did you choose this job? You are two American women. You had all the choices in the world and yet you chose this. Why?", she asked putting down her pita.

Kate didn't quite know what to say but she knew how this question must have affected her partner. Trying to collect ideas to answer she was interrupted before she even had an answer prepared.

"First, I wanted to serve my country but then I realized that I can instead serve the people. I can keep them safe or at least try.", Natasha answered not too long after the question had been asked. Shaping the truth to fit the presence.

Kate nodded in agreement, internally impressed by the simplicity of that lie. It wasn't too far from her truth either.

"I see.", Maya answered with a kind smile.

"Can I ask you a question in return?", Kate spoke up and the little girl in between her parents giggled when her dad tickled her side.

She nodded awaiting the questions. "Why did you stop?", she stopped but then tried to make her question clearer. "Working for your country, I mean."

The two parents gave each other a loving smile and Maya looked down. They looked like two teenagers in love. "This isn't Kamran's first time leaking information that could save lives. A few years ago a group of Mossad agents, including me, were sent here to delete all files and copies belonging to a hostile project. The weapon design was supposed to be sold to an extremist group dangerous to our citizens. When we were done we were called back home. The deal had been to bring him with us, but our government wasn't as brave as yours is. I stayed behind to protect him. The rest is history.", her husband rubbed her back and Daria put her head down on her legs. That however was a result of fatigue that came over the little girl since the night had already swallowed the outside. With her eyes closed she drifted away into a soft slumber while the adults above kept talking.

___________________________________

She carefully laid her down on the soft mattress and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. Natasha watched Maya from the doorway. The way her hand caressed the black hair and she put a loving kiss on her daughter's forehead. Mr. Asadi sat on the other side of the bed watching his little girl fall asleep in safety.

Kate stopped next to her, leaning against the wall on the other side. Looking at Nat and then at the family. She saw the desire inside her eyes and pain. Quiet but very deep inside the soul behind those dark eyes. "It must be hard to see something like this.", Kate whispered, and Nat's head snapped around. She was now staring directly at her and not in a way that makes one feel warm and cozy. No, very far from that. Kate swallowed as she followed an off-storming Natasha into the guest room. This was the first time they would be alone since they had arrived, but she felt the hassle coming. She closed the door behind them, and the first hiss flew at her.