~4~ Questionable

Nat's POV

United States, New York City 07/14/2009:

Natasha watched as Agent Hill left the room. What was going on with that other agent? Why did she turn so green? Was she okay? She couldn't help but wonder if she should've followed her, even though she didn't know her. Somehow, she cared.

"Hey, Natasha!", Nick raised his voice. He was surprised to see the spy so absent-minded.

She turned and raised an eyebrow to express her confusion. He must've talked to her.

"I assume you have a few questions? Maybe about Barton?", his voice was as authorial as always but his posture was relaxed. He felt safe; probably went through all possible questions beforehand.

"Right. Why didn't you send me with Barton?", her tone was neutral as if she didn't worry about any of this at all.

"We need you for this one. You have everything that it takes to make it out alive.", he answered coldly.

"Alright. Then why not send us in together? This mission is exactly our M.O. We know exactly how the other works. We're a team.", she argued. Her voice revealed more and more how much it actually bothered her that he didn't pick her. That he didn't trust her enough.

"I can't. We need him on a different mission. There aren't that many with his abilities. Normally I'd sent you in alone but this one is just too important to go wrong.", Fury ignored her hurt. Not that he didn't care, but he can't let that influence his judgment.

"You know I've never failed. I can do this on my own. I don't need a newbie to babysit.", Natasha's patience grew short. Her comment might not be fair to the other girl but she didn't feel like she was treated properly either.

"I do. But I also know her skill and devotion. She won't be a burden to you. She might not seem like it but she's really good."

For a moment she considered his words, then pushed down her ego. "Has she ever been on a mission like this?", she genuinely cared about how dangerous this could be for Agent Davis, too. She wasn't scared for herself. She believed she would be fine on her own.

"No. Nothing like this. But she has handled some situations no one saw coming with an ease that... Well, it comes quite close to yours."

"What you're saying is she's adaptable and skilled but you don't know how she will handle a situation where she's under pressure from the beginning on. You don't know if she breaks under it or what triggers she might have that would cause her to get distracted.", Natasha concluded.

"Yes, but..."

"So, she's a factor of risk that is unnecessary since we both know I could do it on my own.", she continued.

"No."

"That is exactly what that means. I don't understand why you insist on her coming with me. I don't need her help. I am capable of doing this on my o-"

"Going on that mission with her is not up for discussion! She will be going with you and you will play your parts and cooperate. That is an order.", he had lost his cool to some extent.

It was a peculiar sight to see him so unnerved. It caught Natasha off guard so much that she forgot to close her mouth.

"Understood?", he asked, narrowing his eyes, staring right at hers.

"Yes, sir.". Natasha looked down. A familiar feeling of guilt and fear flushed through her veins. She had to fight the instinct to take a step back, away from the man in charge.