~14~ The One That Got Away

Nat's POV:

United States, New York City 07/15/2009

She woke up. Slowly and peacefully. A warm and cozy feeling in her chest. The rays of light tickled her nose and made her dark red hair shine bright. She opened her eyes and squinted when the light brightened up her dark green eyes. Her fingers wrapped around some fabric above her head and her head moved slowly up and down.

Her eyebrows narrowed. Why was her head moving up and down? She looked around and jolted up. She looked down at a rather tense-looking Kate. Her jaw was clenched and her eye movement beneath her lids was rapid. She watched for a little bit as the woman behind her twitched. She wanted to wake her up, to release her from the bad dream, but the thought of dealing with someone in such a vulnerable state held her back. She wouldn't know how to comfort her and only make it worst, so she stood up and almost fell over when she got tangled up in a blanket.
She managed to find balance and got the blanket off her legs. She folded it carefully and put it down next to the other woman.

She walked towards the door and stopped when Kate mumbled something that she didn't understand at first. She replayed it but couldn't make sense of it. Still unsure of what she said Nat turned back to the door and closed it behind her.

The windowless hallway covered her with darkness and guilt filled her lungs. She shouldn't have been so selfish. She should've woken Kate up but now it was too late to go back. She walked down the hall as confident as possible, trying to shake the guilt by acting fine and it worked.
Quickly and quietly she reached the elevator and entered it. After arriving downstairs she counted her steps down the stairs knowing that it was exactly 14 steps before she would be back on the ground level since she had counted them while going up.
She stopped and spied around the corners and then stepped into the long hallway. She snuck towards the green exit light and slipped out the back door, where she was greeted with blue morning light. She continued on back to the street where she parked but looked up to the window that they climbed out of a few hours earlier when she walked along the side of the building. She stopped when she saw some movement. Kate must've woken up just shortly after she left. Her hand searched for her keys while her feet automatically carried her further away from the window that her head was still busy thinking about. Further away from the woman she was still thinking about.

___________________________________________

Thank you so much for reading this short (but sweet) chapter:)

I appreciate your attention

Sorry, that it took so long. I had a lot to do this weekend.

~454~