~15~ Ready in 10

Nat's POV:

United States, New York City 07/15/2009:

Natasha scanned the horizon above the concrete ground of the airport's runway, where a black SUV with a covered S.H.I.E.L.D. sign pulled up to the entrance by the fence. She knew who it was going to be and she didn't want to face the guilt she would feel boiling up again if she looked into Kate's eyes and they would look back at her angry or guarded.

She took the two bags in front of her out of the trunk and carried them up the stairs into the private jet.

_______________________________________

Kate's POV:

She looked through the fence over to the dock in which the expensive-looking aircraft was being loaded by two agents. One of which she could make out to be Agent Hill. Director Fury was sitting next to her behind the wheel and let down his window to give the guard their fake IDs. Her's that she got from the box earlier today and his that basically said that he's the driver of a businesswoman's bodyguard. The guard scanned the IDs, gave them back and the gate opened. Her gaze was still searching the ground ahead for a specific person yet to be seen.

"You alright over there?", Fury asked, pulling her out of the quest to find the redhead.

"Yes, sir.", she nodded

"Again, I don't need you to call me sir if we're just talking.", he reminded her once again.

"Okay.", Kate agreed and remained silent.

"Are you sure that you're fit enough to do this?", he asked her with genuine concern in his voice.

"Even if I wasn't, wouldn't it be a little late to pull out now?", Kate joked a little unsure of how he would react if she did so around him. It was more of a trial-and-error kind of attempt but the error never happened.

"Mh, a little.", he said with a rare, smug-ish smile.

"Don't worry sir, I'm up for this. I took this job to make sure people are safe and I'm gonna do my best to make that happen. Even if that means that I won't come home again.", her voice got quieter, more thoughtful than before.

"That's not going to happen. I'm sure you two will be back here in no time.", he reassured her that he put his trust in them all the while not missing the sir that slipped back in.

Kate didn't answer because she saw Natasha appear in the frame of the plane's doorway. A slight shame ignited in her when she thought about how disappointed she was this morning when she saw that she had left. As soon as Natasha lifted her head their eyes met. However, the spy looked away when she started to walk down the stairs.

Kate watched closely as she put two bags on her shoulders and went back up the stairs, while they got closer and closer to the dock that they were in.

Fury stopped the car by the entrance next to another black SUV and they both got out.

_______________________________________

Shared POV:

"How is it going?", Nick called over to agent Hill, who was carrying a box that was uncharacteristically unmarked. No sign of S.H.I.E.L.D., the government, or the United States whatsoever.

"Ready in 10.", she answered and started again when Kate walked around the corner into her view with a bag and a backpack, "How are you feeling?"

"Ready to do my job.", she replied shortly to make sure Maria wasn't going to ask her any follow-up questions.

"Good. We're ready, too.", Natasha spoke up stepping next to Maria out of nowhere.

Kate just gave her a neutral, guarded nod and walked past them toward the plane's entrance.

Natasha's head turned almost unnoticeably to the side so she could follow Kate's movement longer.

"So, how'd you get along?", Fury asked pulling Nat's attention back to the two people in front of her.

"We should be fine. She's a fast learner, got a good memory, and good social skills. Sorry, for criticizing your choices, sir.", she admitted and wasn't scared to do so even while Maria was listening. She probably already knew about her misstep, anyway.

"I appreciated your honesty, even if it was misplaced. Just keep your guard up back there.", he reminded her and the other agent that was taking care of the plane until now stepped up to them.

"Sir, Mam's, the plane's ready and we got the okay from the tower to be out on the field in 5.", he informed them just by the time Kate joined them.

"Okay. Time for you two to get in and get the engine started.", Maria ordered and they both nodded and stepped away towards the plane.

Fury and Hill waited until they had gotten in and closed the door behind them.

"They're gonna be fine right?", Hill asked while they walked to the SUVs parked outside the dock.

"I sure hope so."

_______________________________________

Thank you so much for reading this chapter.

I decided to keep this one a little short in order to split them up in better parts

Hope you don't mind it

~804~