~3~ Bellyache

Shared POV

United States, New York City 07/14/2009:

Kate's stomach started to cramp as the redhead entered the room. She tried to take in everything about the agent, looking her up and down. The woman was about ten centimeters smaller than her, confident and dressed in a tight black onesie. The more she looked at her the worse did the pain from her cramps get, so, she stared at a blank space on the wall behind her. She felt the look scanning her in return and lifted her gaze to the agent, trying to stand straight even though her stomach was going crazy.

Natasha's green eyes met with Kate's brown eyes. Both women shielded their true interest in the other. The curiosity that Kate evoked in Natasha was unlike any she had felt before. She tried to read the stranger but failed. She could read pretty much anyone but this poker face was nearly impossible to see through, even for her. All she could detect was a slight discomfort but not what could've caused it.

"Agent Romanoff, meet Agent Davis. Recently promoted to level 5." Fury introduced Kate.

"Hey.", Natasha spoke up.

The unexpectedly low voice sent shivers down Kate's spine. A sense of unfounded fear settled in her chest making it harder to breathe. All she could come up with was a responsive nod and a small smile on the corner of her mouth.

If she were able to read beyond the woman's confident exterior, she could prove to herself that this reaction was completely unnecessary but she couldn't figure out how to do it. She was able to read most people. Sometimes even Fury. So how could she not find anything on her?

'Agent Romanoff', she repeated in her mind trying to figure out if she had heard that name before. She tried to find a report that could've had her name on it, a moment when she was mentioned in a conversation or perhaps a day when she had seen the woman before. Seeing someone as attractive as her would most likely be something she'd remember, yet there were no bells ringing.

"So, why did you order me-I guess, us- here?", Natasha asked Fury politely but a lot less formal than how Kate addressed him.

"You will be sent on a mission together. In my opinion, that's a pretty good reason to introduce you to each other."

"I see.", she answered, more questions bubbling up in her mind. "When do we start?"

"You have till tomorrow night.", Hill joined in.

"Extraction plan?", she asked while picking up a file from the director's desk and skimming the pages.

"Negative. We can't risk the diplomatic disaster that would follow the discovery of an unauthorized operation of the US government on Iranian soil.", Hill replied waiting for the follow-up questions.

"Then why wouldn't you send in higher-level agents? They have the skills and experience to guarantee a satisfying outcome. Instead, you plan to send in two middle-class agents who never worked together or better yet talked to each other. Why?"

The room went silent. All three turned their attention to Kate, who had gathered her courage to ask what was going through her mind. While the outburst might seem random to the outsiders, Kate knew she didn't have much time left to get the answers to the tough questions before she'd have to go looking for a bathroom. The sick wanted out.

"We...", Fury started but reconsidered his choice of words. "Agent Romanoff is an excellent Agent. Her field experience exceeds all other agents'. And you Miss Davis have shown us that you are determined to keep people safe at all costs. You two are the best chance we have to save this family and the information from hostile forces."