02: Fantasy is Not Real

❥︎ pre-chapter note: in japan, there are often signs with the last name (surname) of the family on them in front of the house, to show who lives there.

enjoy! (⁠.⁠ ⁠❛⁠ ⁠ᴗ⁠ ⁠❛⁠.⁠)

- - -

"...are you listening to me?" the teacher in front of me raised her voice slightly. I quickly nodded and took my notebook-- the one she confiscated.

I sighed slightly as I walked out of the faculty office. With that incident, my social standing in school was officially: the worst!

To the students, I was nothing more than a little pesky try-hard who miserably failed at being a teacher's pet, and was now in the dead center of the school hierarchy-- which is also the most awkward position possible.

I dragged my feet back to class to take my bag, ready to head home.

Who would've known that a bag could grow legs and disappear into thin air?

"What a great fucking day...I have to go on a treasure hunt for my bag now, do I?" I mumbled, loud enough to not let others hear, but let them know I was pissed.

To be honest, I had seriously considered just going home without the bag.

After a short consideration of every possible location, I walked god knows how much of a distance and found my bag. Where was it? On the ground, three floors below the window of my classroom. Why was it there? Heck if I knew. Some girl probably watched too much anime and decided to try bullying someone by throwing their bag out the window.

I heaved a short sigh and bent down to pick up my bag, the books inside having fallen out and stained with dirt. I must have looked like quite the pathetic sight, because someone decided to approach me.

50% it's the guy from this morning, 50% it's...
"Mizuki." I blurted out nonchalantly after glancing at them.

"What happened?" they asked. I answered, "Who knows."

Mizuki then decided to help me get the books off the floor. I felt grateful, but that feeling was promptly replaced with a feeling of fatigue-- fatigue from all the things that day that, by no means, were any less than my fault.

"Thanks. It's pretty early for you to be here, though..." I remarked. Mizuki was in the night course, after all. "I was bored and came early. Speaking of, do you wanna hang out for a bit? We can go to karaoke!" they suggested. I nodded, thinking that, when you've hit rock bottom, the only way you can go is up.

The two of us went to karaoke and had a lot fun. We chatted about our day, and about our group...

"Wait, I think the guy you met this morning is..." she said, after I had relayed the events of the day to her. "Rui."

I was confused as to how Mizuki knew him, but didn't bother to question it. "That's great, but I doubt the two of us will be talking anytime soon." It wasn't that I didn't like him, but more of because I acted incredibly awkward towards him; running into the rain randomly after he had spoken, bumping into his shoulder and not even acknowledging him... It hurt my soul from all directions to even think about speaking to him, as if I was going to just go up to him and say, "Hey! I know I acted like a mentally ill patient in front of you that day, but we're all cool, yeah? Let's be friends!"

At the time, I was not in any social circles, and tuned myself out of any chit-chat around me in avoidance of hearing my rumors being spoken of. Maybe, that's why I never heard the rumors of either Mizuki or Rui, despite being in the same year as them.

Mizuki and I walked around the district, stopping for snacks and cute-looking accessories on the way. When it was finally time for Mizuki's classes, we parted ways. Hanging out with Mizuki made me feel a lot better, considering the horrible day I had.

Before I knew it, I made it home. Feeling slightly jubilant, I happily opened the doors, forgetting that...

my day was no longer at rock bottom.

"Y/N! Where have you been!" my mother stared at me while kneeling down in front of the door, tears in her eyes and hands trembling.

I forgot to check my phone.

"I thought something happened to you! I would have killed myself if you came back any later! Do you know what time it is?!" she exclaimed, with a semi-aggressive and concerned tone.

"Mom...I'm so sorry. I went out with a friend and forgot to turn my phone on." I kneeled down to the same level as her and hugged her, feeling an underlying sense of guilt.

"Please don't ever do this again! How would I live without you?" she said, eyes looking more and more crazed.

"Never again."

"...my darling Y/N, you know I love you, right?" she said, tone shaky.

"Mhm."

Third Person POV

Hiding just to the right of the doors to her house, Rui stood, listening to every part of the conversation.

He held his phone in his left hand, which read:

Akiyama

did you meet a
girl this morning
at a bus stop?

Rui
I did, why?

Akiyama
she's a friend
of mine.
i doubt she's
going to say
anything to you,
but her name is
Y/N L/N
i heard about what
happened this
morning, and she
feels awkward about
it

Rui
hm
be right back

A big coincidence as it was, he had been walking through the residential streets. Right as Mizuki had sent him the name of the girl, he caught, in the corner of his eye, [ L/N family ] on one of the signs to his left. Though the name could have definitely been anyone else, he saw the girl with the same coloured hair opening the door when he peeked in. Not meaning to eavesdrop, he overheard the conversation and couldn't help but stop and listen.

He sneaked away and turned back to his phone.

Rui
have you met Y/N's
parents before?

Akiyama
huh? no, but i
remember that her
mother is a single
mother.
what happened?

What mother tells their child that they would kill themselves...?

- - -

Chapter 2 end
1200 words

hello! im ffey, the writer.
i think by this point you can kind of tell the situation here.

by all means yes, y/n here does resemble mafuyu, issues and all

but i think there is a clear difference. (btw y/n's in n25 if u didn't pick up the signs, more on that in later chapters)

y/n is more generally seen as a tryhard who is smart but not popular or have friends, and also on meh terms with the teachers. her social standing is basically shit. but she does have a few friends, mizuki included so she actually has emotions

meanwhile mafuyu is seen as a perfect saint who's also super popular with the teachers and students, but as a result having this empty personality

ok that was just in case u felt like they were similar cuz i totally did not base y/n on mafuyu

have a good one
-ffey