07: The Rain

I felt a flash in my eyes.

The feeling of death passed me by.

Why?

Because I could do it all again.

It didn't matter; intentional or not.

* * *

"..." I opened my eyes.

I was in my bed.

Let me guess,

July 16th, 6am?

I stared at my phone screen apathetically.

"..." something wasn't right.

July 16th.

...6.30am.

"Huh...?" I didn't understand what changed. I still died, didn't I?

No, this time... it was intentional. The first time... Rui died in an accident, resetting from the 17th to 16th, 6am...

The second time, I died in an unexplainable kidnapping, resetting from the evening of 16th to 6am in the morning.

The third time... before the kidnappers got to me, I stabbed myself and died. Right, and Rui was watching.

My head hurt the more I thought about it. Eventually, I gave up.

...Maybe I shouldn't even go out.

Even so, I got up.

* * *

I stared down the path to school. Heaving a deep sigh, I continued walking. Each time I walk down the same path, I feel more and more sick of it.

I stopped at the bus stop. Suddenly, I felt a lump in my throat. At that very moment, I felt like the world was going to crash down on me. Is there even any point?

I kept walking.

* * *

I stopped at the gate to think.

I stared up at the vibrant, blue sky. There was no sign of the weather changing, and the sun was out.

It disgusted me.

How the weather can change just like this; just because I decided to keep walking...

...And how insignificant it makes my life seem.

Just because of one difference in my day...

Even so, I kept going.

The endless cycle of feeling an overwhelming sense of dread but still having to go on loomed over me. It felt as if it were all pointless to begin with.

* * *

Eventually, I made it to class.

"Y/N, could I--"

Before the damned girl could speak, I passed her the papers she'd asked for four times now. She looked taken aback.

It all seems so futile. So meaningless...

I thought, as I leaned on my arm.

* * *

I still remember it as clear as day.

It was rainy that day. Not too heavy, but not light either.

I saw a girl under the covers of a shelter. I was just getting out of the rain myself.

She sobbed lightly, but I wasn't planning to bother her.

Suddenly, she began to cry even louder. As if she wanted consolation; as if she wanted someone to tell her it was okay.

Though I didn't ask, she began to mumble about it in between sobs.

"I hate the rain."

"Because daddy was running to get me out of it."

"He covered me from it."

"Then he disappeared."

"So...the rain took him away."

I didn't expect that.

She looked like a child who was blessed and spoiled by her parents.

Maybe I was moved by it. Or maybe something about her drew me in.

I did something I never would've.

"Stop crying. I'll stay with you. Then, the rain won't be scary anymore. See, I won't disappear."

I handed her a handkerchief.

Her tears shimmered in the darkened surroundings, as her eyes glowed luminescently.

"...What's your name?"

"Rui."

She sniffed as she wiped away her tears.

"I'm Y/N!"

She said it in an excited tone.

"Rui, let's be friends!" she exclaimed, her facial expression opposing the one she had just been making.

...

Ah, if only she'd remember.

I stood at the side of the gate, gazing at her as she looked upwards to the vibrant, blue sky.

* * *

"Miss Y/N, if you could come here and solve question five for us..."

I turned my head towards the teacher immediately.

"A, Ah... Of course." I fumbled my words and stood up.

It's not like me to daydream in class.

I had a tight feeling in my chest. As I looked out the window, I saw dark clouds looming over the sky.

I've never hated the rain more.

- -

Chapter 7 END
683 words

wooo we're making it to the double digits soon

this is the shortest chapter so far, but i've been stumped pretty hard so i decided that i need some progression in the plot (glimpse into ourple's pov?? 👀)

as someone in the comments of a previous chapter referenced, this is very much like kagerou daze

forgive me father for i shall produce chapters at turtle speed for the next week or so

have a good one <3
-ffey