16: Finale (c)

❥︎ Pre-chapter note:

in this chapter, --- (3 dashes) will represent a flashback.

also, ive noticed that on some devices, the default font replaces italic fonts so it doesn't look like this (slanted), in this story italic represents a thought (if you couldn't notice this in the previous chapters, try changing your default font!

The finale will have *three parts because I'd like to tie up the main plot before I give the story a proper ending. The 'surprise' will be in this part, which is the final part for this story!

- -

I opened my eyes just on cue, and waited a few seconds for the alarm clock to start ringing. I stared at it, wondering whether I could move my arm.

Regardless of any thoughts I had, I got up and headed to the bathroom to get ready. At the floor-length mirror in the hallway, I stopped to look at myself and grabbed a hair tie to tie my hair up.

"..." I felt a sense of déjà vu, with my hands in the air wrapped around the hair tie.

Then, it disappeared as randomly as it appeared in my head. Blinking purposefully, I processed the thought. I'm thinking weird. Time to get ready... I thought, as I tied up my hair, And stop thinking about random things!

After an unnecessarily long morning routine, I changed into my uniform and grabbed my bag. Okay. Time to head out.

I went to the kitchen to get water, and nodded at the sight of my mother reading yet again. From what I observed, her most prominent hobby had become perusing... abstract titles.

I looked at her calm, peaceful expression and closed the kitchen door to the hallway. I couldn't tell whether my mouth was curved up or not, so I looked into the mirror again.

My eyes, instead of looking at my lips, shifted to the single strand of hair hanging away from the rest of my tied hair. Annoyed, I held my hands up to re-tie my hair...

---(

The sounds of hair brushing against a comb. I look in the mirror, and someone is brushing my hair behind me while I sit on a chair. She's too tall to see the face of, and I don't bother.

Why...?

Because I already know who she is.

---)

...?!

What in the world... I held on to my head. I hurriedly looked up at myself in the mirror and said, "What even--"

The feeling crept up once again--

---(

I look in the mirror, and I feel an overwhelming sense of pride. My hair is braided skillfully into a half-up, and in a way that only Mom could pull off.

"Mommy, aren't I pretty?" I smile with all my heart and look up at the tall figure behind me.

She pauses for a moment with an expression I can't grasp, then with her voice cracking she says, "Yes. Yes you are."

---)

"...!" I held my head tightly, as if trying to keep it from falling apart. It's a memory of Mom and I. But why am I only remembering now...?

Then before I knew it, I saw an image in my head.

What...was I trying to protect myself from, by hiding this memory away?

The answer presented itself on a silver platter--

Mom's face was smooth and young, and clearly, she had more awaiting her in her life than staying confined in a looped life for a daughter that benefitted her in no way. After Dad died, I was the thing holding her back from being more-- from having a better life.