13: Rehab, and My Will

"Y/N, it's time for your first rehab session." A familiar nurse walked into the ward, and smiled like she'd known me for years. Ah, but she probably did. I smiled back, and replied, "I'm excited, but a little scared..."

While carrying me onto a wheelchair, she continued, "It's like that for everyone! Just relax, and look towards your goal. Soon, you'll be able to use your arms. I believe in you."

I felt a little more relieved.

But, eight years of no moving? I would believe it if I was told that my arms had become too stiff and unrecoverable. Just how things were, I'd assume. Though, if the nurse said I could, then I could.

She pushed the wheelchair, and hearing the wheels clatter with the smooth marble floor of the hospital corridors was scary. The feeling of moving forward in one direction, I wondered how different it would be if I was doing it with my two legs. People sat on the seats along the hall, some slept and some anxiously found themselves staring at the walls or pacing the halls. Surprisingly, no one really stared. Well, it is a hospital, after all. They must all be... as nervous as I am.

Finally, we stopped in front of a room. She opened the door, and immense sunlight shone through the large clear windows. The room was simple. Wooden floors and white walls. There stood a man, smiling warmly.

"Good afternoon, Miss L/N." the use of my last name scared me. It reminded me of where I had to go after-- if-- I was discharged.

Hesitantly, I nodded my head. "Good afternoon."

It didn't feel real that I was now here. It didn't feel real that I was 'I'.

I was nervous. I could feel my heart beating so fast, I wouldn't have been surprised if the man could hear it.

"No need to be nervous." he said, smiling widely.

I bit my lips.

They were rough, and chapped.

* * *

Rui visited me. It was as if nothing I said last time he came mattered, and it was good that that was the case.

He took out new flowers and some candy from a plastic bag while speaking about his day. "Recently, I've gotten myself into a musical show troupe." he said, smiling so very slightly.

"A musical show troupe? What's it called?"

"...We haven't decided, but we do shows for little children at an amusement park."

"Haha, sounds like a lot of fun. You don't usually seem like the type to join these types of things, though?"

"..." he paused.

Then he continued. "I suppose not."

He smiled even wider.

It made me want to smile, too.

It was rare to feel a genuine smile from him. And I was happy that it had nothing to do with me. It means he's going to slowly be able to let go of all that guilt.

Perhaps he saw me smiling.

I turned my head the other way, then sluggishly said something random to distract myself. "When I get out of the hospital, I'll go see one of your shows, okay?"

* * *

Another day of rehab it was.

I was brought to the same room with the same person.

"Today, we'll..." he explained, but I didn't feel like listening.

He then walked towards me, and reached out his hand.