03: Fate's Frustrating Game

"Goodnight, Mom." I mumbled towards the bed while standing at the door. She had fallen asleep from exhaustion right after crying.

For some reason, my heart felt heavy as I walked down the hallway, listing the things I had to do before I could go to bed.

2am, I thought. That was the time I'd be able to go to sleep at the earliest.

Then, taking practiced steps, I headed to the kitchen and began making dinner. Chores, homework, showering...as much of a pain as it was, they were things that just needed to be done. I couldn't let my mother do them, could I?

I finished my last task by 1am, on the dot. Moving forward in a swift motion, I ran to my desk and opened nightcord.

I clicked on "VC 1".

"Ah, Y/N's here." 'Amia' said.

"Y/N, we were just discussing the cover art for the upcoming song..." 'K' added.

"I was thinking of making the cover art something that gives off the vibes of a dystopian, hopeless place..." 'Enanan' thought outloud.

Our group, commonly referred to as 'N25', made music together while our real-life identities remained unknown. Of course, not a single soul other than us five knew about the way we operated, and only we, ourselves, knew our own identities. We met up on Nightcord at 1am every day, and today was no different.

An hour passed as I started nodding off while trying to get work done. Yuki and I were the only ones who had daytime classes, but she was like a superhuman-- always composed, calm, kind, caring, and never tired. On the other hand, I had none of those qualities.

I finally got to bed at 2am. Reflecting briefly on my day, I closed my eyes, awaiting yet another day that would bring nothing but a feeling of uneasiness.

The next morning, I woke up. The date is July 17th, I thought while looking at my phone. Despite the exhaustion and headache, I dragged myself to school. Thank god the force of a fairytale isn't putting me through a romance event again, I thought in relief while walking slowly.

Uncontrollably, I began feeling a sense of drowsiness in my eyes, and my eyelids got heavier with each passing second. My eyes began closing as I forced myself to reopen them repeatedly. Eventually, my eyes began closing for a much longer period of time.

Step.

Step.

Step.

The familiar sounds of a car edges towards me quickly.

I opened my eyes, knowing whatever was happening to me;

was predetermined by fate.

Bam.

I felt a big impact as I fell to the concrete floor on the side of the road. I opened my eyes, thinking, am I in hell, or heaven? Yet, what awaited me was...

The motionless body in front of me.

There were only three prominent features I could see clearly, as my ears rang deafeningly; his purple hair, his uniform, and blood everywhere.

A car was stopped beside it. The driver, or whoever it was, held his phone to his ear as he panicked, shouting words to whoever was on the other side of the line.

Huh...?

Did I...

Did he...

save me...?

I...

Suddenly, a raindrop fell on my hands, which were painstakingly resting on the ground as I froze.

This was my fault.

I...

He's the guy from yesterday...

He saved me...

and got hit.

"Hah...."

"Hahaha...."

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....!"

I didn't know why I was laughing.

The surroundings were blurry, as I prayed to whatever god or force was controlling the events of the previous morning.

"Please don't just take the life of someone else..."

"who got mixed up with me and my bad luck."

This is all my fault.

He died because he got mixed up with me.

"...!" I gasped as I sat up. I examined my surroundings.

It was my room. I was in my bed. "A...dream...?" I mumbled, heart beating crazily fast.

I snatched my phone in a frenzy, rushing to check the time and date.

It's 6am...

on July 16th.

"There is no way that was just a dream." I mumbled, trying to rearrange my scrambled thoughts. Being unable to make a rational decision in the heat of the moment, I decided, I'll just go back to sleep. Yes, everything will be fine if I just go back to sleep.

As if. About 30 minutes passed as I slept a little more. However, when I woke up, I still remembered every single detail and feeling of the 'dream.'

This isn't normal. If it was a dream, I would've forgotten about it by now. Or at least, a detail or two...

I still remembered every event that took place on the two days.

...

After getting changed, I carefully considered my options;

One: Try to avoid Rui like a plague, and try changing what happens in the future by not staying up late.

Two: Try to follow the route, but instead of running away during the bus stop event, stay and follow the tale's plot.

Not that I hated Rui or anything, but option one was the least risky, and would be a surefire way to change what happened. Preparing myself mentally, I opened the front door quietly while mother was still asleep.

Heading for the train station, my only other route to school, I hoped sincerely that nothing would go wrong. Of course, I was used to it by now, but everything that could go wrong went wrong.

The train towards the direction of my school was out of service, for specifically that morning. The trip to the train station from home was a quite a walk, too. I walked at a fast pace back to the other path to school, the one I took originally, as I thought, dear sir 'force', how about you try indirectly accidentally murdering a person whom you embarrassed yourself in front of two times the day after you met them?

With this, I have no choice. I have to go for option two! Follow the route and act like some otome game protagonist! I resolved myself.

I stepped into the bus stop, watching the rain with a longing expression, as would any normal girl. After mentally preparing myself and three big sighs to calm myself down, I heard a footstep to my left.

It was Rui, the purple haired man I murdered.

I watched, eyes narrowing slightly as he stepped into the bus stop and stood there.

Our eyes met, as he glanced at me, expression unreadable.

...Isn't he supposed to say, "Tough luck, hmm?" about now?

- - -
Chapter 3 END
1102 words

no words from me, just (⁠~⁠‾⁠▿⁠‾⁠)⁠~
-ffey