06: Experiment

My head rang uncontrollably.

My vision blurred as I gathered up all my strength to make a reply, "No...It's nothing." My voice sounded muffled. The throbbing in my head got worse as each second passed. Though my vision was blurry, I could make out Rui looking at me, clearly confused. I waited for the pain to go away. Before I knew it, Rui stood under my umbrella with me as the pouring rain built an ambience that felt as if it came out of a fairytale.

After a few moments, the throbbing and ringing stopped abruptly. What just happened...? To describe what I just felt, it was like deja vú. Except, the feeling touched just enough of my head to make me feel conflicted in many ways. Anyway, I ignored all that and faced reality. Or rather, the person in front of me.

He's really tall. The odd realization struck me at a weird timing. I hurriedly said, "Sorry about that. Can I have your number?"

On second thought, that sounds too wrong for a 'first meeting'--

"I mean..." I quickly recovered, but was cut off.

"Sure." Rui replied, his tone eerily identical to the one he used when I asked last time, in the school hallways. The same smirk, too. I quickly exchanged numbers with him. The realization sunk in that I had spent too much time at the bus stop. Running a scan of my, albeit limited, mental database, I'd come to the conclusion that I was screwed. I waved to Rui slightly. "See you!" I shouted behind me and made my run for it.

I could tell from his silouhette that he was confused.

Either way, I made it to school on time. I made it into class safely, and got into my seat. Narrowly, I escaped being late. Well, I suppose that would change the plot too.

As if we were in a predetermined video game route, a girl took the exact same steps to my desk. That was the moment my heart stopped. I forgot about the homework part.

"Y/N, could I borrow your--" she was cut off.

I heard two knocks on the half opened door to the classroom, as an unforgettable voice called my name. "Y/N? A teacher called for you." I turned to the direction where the voice came from and saw exactly who I thought it was. Rui, of course. Convenient enough, I guess. At that point, I couldn't care less.

"Tch." the girl walked away, clearly annoyed. Meanwhile, I made my way to the door where Rui was leaning on. I avoided eye contact and was about to head to the faculty room before he whispered in my ear, "Sorry. Just thought you might have needed some help. You looked like you were panicking."

At his words, I felt my face turn flushed. Turning my head away from him, I nodded lightly and walked away hastily.

Perhaps...

An outrageous idea popped into my head.

No way.

I brushed the thought off immediately.

He seemed to be at just the right place every time...

An ominous feeling stood its ground in my chest.

I continued walking.

* * *

In a flash, the school day went by. I couldn't care less whether I got scolded or called out by teachers, not when I've repeated the same day three times. Finally, it was time to go home. Once again, I watched each person stand at where they were supposed to be like it was scripted.

Even so, I had to continue on.

I couldn't give up. Maybe I would, a million repeats later. For now, I had to try.

I called the number at the top of my contacts.

I haven't named it yet.

I felt my pulse quickening as the phone beeped slowly.

"...Hello?" I heard his voice. Over the phone, it sounded so different. Yet, it was the same person no doubt. "Ah...it's Y/N. Could I ask of you a... favor?"

There was no way any normal person would accept. We met "for the first time" today. Maybe spoke a word or two, at most.

Despite that, he replied.

"What is it?"

"...Could you accompany me home?" I said, inwardly heating up from the shameless statement.

"Ah! I know that sounded weird, but I have a reason for it..."

While he stayed silent, I began to make up an excuse.

"I think someone is stalking me...I'm really horrified. And you happen to be the only one I know whom I can ask this of..." I tried to put on a good act. To be fair, the truth is much worse.

"Sure." Almost without hesitation, he replied sharply. It gave me goosebumps.

If I can keep repeating this day...

Why don't I test out some theories while I can?

Within a few minutes, I saw him waiting at the school gate. Taking a deep breath, I went up to him. "Uh...I'm not sure about what the stalker looks like...I just hope he'll stop." I added a hint of concern to my tone. He nodded slightly while his expression was unusually blank.

We began to walk. I led the way, though it felt as if he didn't need it. Still, I pretended to act cautious and looked around vigorously. Well, the kidnappers could be around this time too.

Soon, the streets got dark, as if someone was setting up the stage. Rui looked unconcerned, and walked leisurely. Meanwhile, I continued on.

In the deafening silence, all that could be heard were our footsteps. That's why, when I heard a slight breeze somewhere around us, I knew.

That the kidnappers were here this time too.

"I think we're near my house. I'll be fine on my own from here." I said politely to Rui.

He paused for a bit. He stared at me, eyes unconvinced.

"No, I think I should accompany you all the way. Maybe the stalker is still following you." he replied nonchalantly.

...what?

I was fully expecting him to leave.

God damn it. Should've predicted this.

"Well then, I apologize sincerely." I said, sighing deeply.

"...What do you mean?" he looked confused.

You'll find out any minute now.

As soon as I heard footsteps, though inaudible, I took a deep, deep breath.

Gush.

A loud sound echoed the empty streets.

Rui stared at me in horror, though he stood the same way.

Absolute horror.

I looked down at my stomach.

Blood began to rush out, as the wound that I had created using a pair of scissors opened ever wider.

My vision began to darken, as my legs felt weaker and weaker.

My head was ringing.

"Y/N...!" he shouted as he tried to hold on to me.

His efforts were futile.

I fell on the concrete ground, eyes shut.

- -

Chapter 6 END
1138 words

two words: damn bro

have a good one
-ffey