09: Sleep

Question the reality of what is in front of you, and you will eventually reach your conclusion.

Well, maybe in your case, you should start with something...

managable.

* * *

I opened my eyes.

I knew that feeling too well. Waking up in a sweat, realizing that what you just experienced was a dream.

The feeling of relief, and...

what...was the dream, again...?

I looked at my phone.

7am.

My head was spinning. But I'd gotten used to this feeling.

I'll be late.

But I have to do something today.

It feels like time is slowly running out.

I sat up and got out of bed. Holding on to the wall, I felt a sharp, uncomfortable feeling in my chest-- like something was pricking at it.

I gripped my chest tightly, scrunching up my face to deal with the pain.

I just barely got changed. Tangled hair, an unironed shirt and differently colored socks. It threw me off, but I had to bear with it.

I made a run for it.

The sky didn't turn gray, even though by this time I would've been at school.

I reached the bus stop, as the sun began to come out. Staring at the dim bus stop, I paused.

Then, as if nothing had happened, I continued running. It doesn't matter.

I stepped into the school gate, which was now completely empty. Makes sense, I'm late.

I ran towards class, then walked in after a few breathers.

"Oh my, look who has shown up." the homeroom teacher said, smiling slightly. She was a kind teacher-- the kind teacher, and no sarcasm was intended in that sentence.

"Take a seat, Y/N."

I obliged.

I began to feel my heart rate falling steadily.

You know, that comfortable feeling that makes you feel at ease? After exercising?

It's so relieving, I feel a bit...

...

Drowsy.

* * *

As the girl dozed off, she led herself further into a void with no end, no corners and no support.

A familiar boy looked out the rooftop. He was skipping class.

He took a deep breath.

The scenery here...

It reminded him of a bygone time.

[ "Rui, my mom cooked her famous curry today! Why don't you come over and try it? We can test out your gadgets in my room. ]

It was a tempting offer.

So I took it.

Just enough for two people.

Then, with a smile, I walked over to her house. It was a bright summer day, a day where other kids might've been catching beetles or eating shaved ice.

I saw her, waving at me from a distance.

I went into her house and greeted her mom.

[ "Ah, Rui is always so nice. Please be careful today with your toys, alright?" ]

She said that because the last time I came over, it didn't end very well. The kitchen was dark like charcoal, top to bottom.

But they weren't toys.

We went up to her room, and as she smiled she opened her room door.

The first thing I saw was a manga book. She saw it, panicked and shyly hid it behind her back with a wide smile.

I saw it, though. I'd read it before. A story about a girl time travelling to a fantasy timeline and living a fairy tale dream.

"Do you want to time travel?" I said with a slight smile.

Her eyes widened.

In excitement, she asked whether I could make something that could let her do that.

I smiled, and replied, "Why not?"

She was so excited, even at dinner. She told her mom all about it. Her mom laughed, and bashed over how cute the two of us were.

She didn't even nag me to eat my vegetables like usual.

That was just how excited you could tell she was.

When, I got home, I started working on it.

Obviously, you can't really time travel.

Instead, I made something that would make her think she time travelled. At the time, VR headsets weren't a thing.

So, I made something that allowed her to see into a virtual reality. A simulation, so immersive you might think it was real.

So immersive, you might forget yourself.

...

Bam.

Skiiiid.

The sound of a car coming to an emergency stop after an impact, and the sound of ambulances.

...

[ "Fortunately, she still lives. Although..." ]

[ "It's him! He made my daughter like this!" ]

The sound of aggravated screams and the smell of hospitals.

Even though I apologized, she never forgave.

Stuck in a white painted prison cell, bedridden.

When I visited the person I had almost killed, she said one thing.

[ "Rui, someday, when I'm out of here..." ]

[ "Let's go to school together. We'll hold hands...and mom will make you a lunchbox...full of vegetables. And I'll...definitely get you to down it all...!" ]

I couldn't resist the drops of tears.

I held onto her hand.

"Okay."

- -

Chapter 9 END

have a good one!
-ffey