04: A Confused I

He stared at me, expression vastly different from what I remembered it was supposed to be like. He looked composed and not quite flustered enough for someone who just got out of a sudden rainfall.

He said not a word, and simply looked at me, despite his drenched appearance. I stared back, about five times more flustered than he was, confused as the silence between us dragged on. "Uh..."

"T- Tough luck....hmm?" I said, trying my best not to break my smile. My head was spinning, and the difference in his behavior was not helping, so I just said whatever came up in my mind. Don't let this become more awkward!

He stared for a while longer while I panicked more and more. After some time of silence, he replied with a calm tone, "Yes, indeed." He smiled slightly, which reminded me of a cat.

....Now what??! Isn't he supposed to 'make conversation' or whatever?! I'm following the god damn plot! I thought calmly.

My heartbeat increased as the silence between us stretched out. Desperate for even a small topic to disrupt the silence, I opened my bag and pulled out my trump card-- or more like my last resort-- a foldable umbrella. For escaping uses, of course. Smiling as kindly as I can, I nodded my head towards him and opened my foldable umbrella.

Please ask to share the umbrella, please ask to share the umbrella... I prayed in my head. I was NOT going to ask him if he wanted to share. If he did, however, I'd have a perfectly sensible reason to actually talk with him while walking and follow the plot. As I glanced at him, he stared, eyes narrowed. In an attempt to act natural, I stepped out in a composed manner and placed the umbrella over my head.

The sounds of the heavy rain bouncing off the umbrella flooded my ears and blurred my vision to anything outside of the rainfall surrounding it. Right then, I could've sworn that he spoke, as I took a last glance at him before leaving.

I could barely see him, but I could tell that he attempted to ask something, or say something. Yet, as I realized that fact, I had already walked too far from the bus stop.

I arrived at the school gate. Feeling a little frustrated, I quickly grabbed some papers from my bag that I had prepared earlier, and tore them up swiftly. The students entering the gate stared and whispered, but who cares? I'm going to be the reason someone dies tomorrow unless I change something.

I tossed the pieces of paper onto the road beside me. They then quickly flew and tore themselves up even more as a huge breeze flew past. Allowing myself to grin slightly, I stepped into school.

"Y/N, could I borrow your chemistry homework?" the girl whose face I almost forgot about came up and asked me right as I arrived in school.

"Sorry, I think I lost it." I smiled widely and told her. As I expected she would, she moved forward and snatched my bag from me, searching through everything and ruining all the items in it in the process. After looking through the entire bag three times over, she gave up and tossed the bag onto my desk, running back to her friends. They continued to chat, but everyone who watched could tell that there was an underlying sense of humiliation.

That's one thing taken care of. Now, for the next event...

To change the next one, all I needed to do was not draw and focus in class. Simple enough.

I focused and took down actual notes. My seat was in the front row, so I was sure the teacher could tell that I was putting in at least an ounce of effort. Suddenly, an eraser hit my head as the teacher, who was previously writing on the board, turned around. I caught the eraser and looked at the direction it came from. Ah, I thought, as I watched the girl from this morning whisper with a friend of hers.

"Miss L/N, would you like to explain this?!" she yelled as I flinched. She had taken the eraser from my hands. The eraser had a drawing on it, and on the back read, "Ms Mimi --> pig". I read it in horror.

"I- this wasn't me! Someone threw it at me and...I'm sure someone who saw can back me up..." I defended myself and looked around frantically. Everyone looked at their books in such focus, avoiding their vision on me.

"That's enough excuses. Come to my office after classes. We'll have a chat about this." she raised her voice and emphasized 'chat'.

My eyes widened as I realized how things were going. They weren't exactly following before, but they ended up roughly the same. I was screwed. Way more than I should've been. I gripped my hands over the two sides of my head tightly as I panicked and thought of any solution to fix this. If I don't do anything, he'll die again... the thought hit me like a truck.

Classes ended. Though I was in a dire situation, I tried my best not to show it, and walked out of the class calmly, this time with my bag. I made sure to walk very slowly through the halls this time, and to greet Rui if I happened to see him.

I walked, and walked. The halls were filled with chatter and crowds of people. All of a sudden, a person sprinted towards me at an incredibly fast pace.

Bam.

The sound of my nightmares replayed itself in my head, as I was pushed to the ground behind me. The person bumped into my shoulder, pushed me down to the floor, and ran away.

I held my hands on my ears tightly as my brain endlessly replayed the scene of the car crash in front of me, the sound of him pushing me to the ground haunting me. My ears rang louder and louder as each second passed. The sound of whispers, chatter, the sound of a clock ticking by all filled my ears and exploded so loudly, a tear forcefully ran down my eyes. I opened my voice to scream, yet nothing came out.

Despite all the noise that had infiltrated my ears at the moment, a singular voice could be heard, clearer than anything and more soothing than anything.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I felt my head spinning as I turned it upwards to look at 'him'. Even though I knew full well who it was, the moment I saw his smile and heard his voice, the erratic noises in my head stopped, and so did my fast heartbeat. He held his hand out to me.

At that moment, I saw not his discerning features, but his smile, his warmth. Quickly realizing that I was staring, I wiped my tears and stood up by myself.

Even though the him in this timeline didn't know of the future, I couldn't help but blurt out, "I'm sorry." as I covered my face to stop the tears that continued flowing.

My heartbeat increased yet again, as he pulled one of my hands off my face, and stared at me with his cat-like smile.

Why, at that moment, did my face go red?

- - -
Chapter 4 END
1230 words

cue the slow (or fast?) burn

have a good one
-ffey