(Side Story 1)

What if Mizuki was the person that Y/N fell in love with in the loop instead?

won't follow story exactly!! you'll see why

- -

I opened my eyes. The sounds of birds chirping away at the small, singular window in the hospital ward made me realize that I was back in the real world.

That final cycle in the loop, I knew in some way or another that something was coming to an end. Even in that deranged, painful state, the first person my mind brought me to was Mizuki. Akiyama Mizuki, the only person I could count on in that hopeless, disgusting place.

I turned my head to the side. Rui had been explaining his situation and talking about various nonsensical things, but I tuned myself out.

As he seemingly started to begin a new sentence, I interrupted him with a deadpan tone, "I want to see Mizuki."

He paused, and I didn't bother to look at his expression.

I really, really wanted to see Mizuki. I didn't care if they didn't remember the times we shared. I wanted to see their face-- their expression of gentle concern--

"I said... I want to see Mizuki." my eyes turned a little more dreary.

This desire was insatiable. I would bear the pain of running with my trashed legs if it meant I could see them for a final time.

Mizuki. Mizuki. Mizuki.

God, I was going crazy.

I didn't pay attention to Rui. I closed my eyes and indulged in the memories I had of the fictional Mizuki.

If his goal was to get me to do rehab, he damn well succeeded.

Something inside of me awoke that day-- I knew I needed Mizuki.

[ I was done with the plot. I was giving up. I was at my limit--

To avoid meeting him, I dialed a random person to distract myself.

Hearing their voice calmed me.

I wasn't planning to actually make any plans with them. I just wanted an excuse to look distracted and unavailable.

Even so, I reached out my hand.

They took it graciously.

I couldn't get my situation out of my mind. What was happening? Why wasn't anything working?

Truly, my life was being reduced down to a comma. Hoping for a continuation, wondering when there will be closure...

Then I got the closure I needed.

"Hey, Y/N... you seem a bit off today. Just know, if you need someone to talk to, I'm always here."

I felt a warm embrace from behind. Instinctively, I raised my hand to drag their arm away from me, but stopped midway.

They knew nothing of my situation, yet they hit the nail spot on with those words.

I could hear each and every one of my heartbeats flying around in my chest and for some odd reason, I felt a goosebump coming up my arms. Then, a warm breeze blew in, as if obediently accompanying the scene.

My knees felt weak.

I saw a dark spot on her sleeve that wrapped around me. ]

And that is why I need Mizuki. Rehab? Life? School? Friends? I don't need it.

Just Mizuki.

* * *

"My dear Y/N, your rehab is progressing really fast! Now that you can move so well, you can do so many things, like..." the nurse proudly and lovingly listed off various activities that I would have deemed impossible a month ago.

They say that rehabilitation is seventy-percent affected by the mind.

"Yep! It's all because..." I grinned without restraint, allowing my arms to drape down and meet at my back as I stretched out my left leg forward.

"I have a purpose now." I turned my head back to face her.

My phone had recently gained a satisfying number of pictures.

Maybe it's thanks to people like Rui, who create such wonderful sources of information--

Ah, gotta save this one too.

- -

Side Story 1 END

sorry but my specialty is unfortunately plot twists

have a good one
-ffey