Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 1

Quinn

It felt strange to be up here, sitting on the back of a monstrous white wolf on the cliff's edge while gazing down at the tens of thousands of soldiers down below.

Norsewood's warriors were joined by the Snow, Wood, and Valley Elves, Mountain Dwarves, and One-Horn Demons. Far across the horizon on the opposite side was the enemy invading our land, the soldiers who were once my husband's ally from Athol, a country my husband once loved and served.

It was hard to imagine that I'd be here, aiding my beloved husband, the man known as the infamous, cold-blooded warrior Lord Aldric Templeton, Earl of Norsewood, now the Ruler of Blackfield. Because really, not long ago, I was back on Earth, very much alive and kicking and going about my day, looking forward to the next phase in my life, looking forward to starting a new job as a research scientist working in one of the biggest medical research companies in the world. But apparently, life had the knack at giving you an unexpected twist when you least expected it.

Aldric, beside me and sitting on another monstrous white wolf, shouted, "Hellfire!"

Immediately, a gust of wind swirled, and materializing out of thin air was a behemoth of a dragon, hovering above the air.

I could never get used to seeing that legendary monster, the one that could destroy a city with a simple breath of his fire, the one that nearly killed Aldric and his men during our dungeon conquering episode, the one that kept toddling around after me in his small, too-cute-for-words form and begging me for sweet Chinese buns.

Who could have believed that a mighty dragon was addicted to sweet Chinese buns? Or anything that was a bun and had sweet fillings inside it? Ridiculous, really.

On a side note, who could have believed that my capture was worth a king's ransom? Because that was exactly what those bastards were here for, kidnapping me, and of course, seizing the land Aldric and I and our people had worked so hard on cultivating.

Apparently, in their eyes, I was a saint, whatever that was, and I was worth destroying a newly built nation for.

Indeed, this was the story of my life. Or rather, my second life as the infamous earl's legendary bride.

So, how did I even get here? Let's go back to when it all started when I was done in by Mr. Truck saving a boy's life, when I opened my eyes and found myself in this world that was full of magic, monsters, and mayhem.

* * *

When I woke up, I sensed everything was wrong—the sight of the ceiling, made of sticks and straws and looking ready to collapse on top of me; the bed I was sleeping in, which was hard; the blanket that was covering me, which was coarse; and my body, which was sore all over like I had been beaten to an inch of death's door.

I stirred and shifted, and instantly, pain echoed through my body like a raging inferno, and I wanted to scream. What came out of my mouth was an agony of groaning instead, followed by huffing like I couldn't breathe properly. I felt like someone had smashed my ribs in.

What?

I relaxed back and tried to recollect what in heaven had happened to me because I was sure something had happened.

I racked my brain, thinking back, hard.

Graduation!

Yes! It was my graduation day. I had put on the regalia and talked to Mom and Dad, or what was a portrait of them anyway, informing them that I was graduating with a master's degree in medical health science and that I'd be starting a new job as a scientist in one of the biggest research companies in America, in the world, within a week. I told them I was looking forward to the next phase in my life and that I was happy and that they needn't worry about me anymore from up there.