Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 12

Quinn

It had been five days since I had confronted Lord Bedford, and since then, we had had a sober, family-only funeral for Quinn at the back of the cottage. I had made beautiful headstones for Quinn and Eva at Elizabeth's request. Apparently, Eva was Quinn's older sister by one year, and both Eva and Quinn were of Lord Bedford's lineage.

The very thought that that pig had not only impregnated Elizabeth once but twice riled me up. I bet he had laid his filthy hands on her against her will many times, and that got me so enraged I had been on the verge of barging into the manor and torturing him with my magic. But I had held myself in check. It'd be no good if he died under my hands and Lord Norsewood turned up and... Well, things would just get messy and ugly.

Since that day, too, Elizabeth had been summoned to the manor for what apparently was a presentation of gifts from Lady Bedford. Gowns as well as shoes she and her daughters no longer desired were those gifts for Elizabeth, Maria, and me.

There was jewelry such as earrings and necklaces, as well as coins—fifty golds, two hundred silvers, and five hundred nickels. In equivalent terms compared to American dollars, brass was one, bronze was ten, copper was twenty, nickel was fifty, silver was one hundred, and gold was five hundred. All in all, Lady Bedford gifted us an equivalent of seventy thousand grand. This was not my dowry. That will be donated straight to Lord Norsewood after the wedding.

Seventy thousand grand, or one hundred and forty worth of gold coins in this world, was not a lot where Lord Bedford was concerned, especially when he was considered a multimillionaire if he were back on Earth, with numerous coffers filled with gold coins, plus land and estates and various businesses running all over the country, too.

Indeed, it would seem as petty to part with such little gifts, especially to ones who were willing to take his daughter's place in a marriage ordered by the king they wanted no part in. I, however, didn't give a fart about the gifts, though I did appreciate them. We'd be needing it, especially when traveling through towns and buying what was necessary.

As for the gowns, Lady Bedford had said to Elizabeth, "You can alter one of those to fit your boy for the wedding ceremony. Be grateful you're receiving those."

Hence, Elizabeth returned, along with Liam, in a tattered wagon that was given to us by Lord Bedford. Inside was the chest containing the gifts.

Supposedly, the wagon—which had seen better days and was on the verge of collapse—was meant to be the vehicle that'd transport us to Norsewood after my wedding. The four horses that came with it looked thin and sickly, and I knew they were on the verge of death.

Horses were great assets in this world, and I wasn't about to let them suffer. Hence, with my healing magic and the pills designed specifically for them, they started to recover in no time. Although Liam mentioned these were the dullest of the lot in terms of intelligence, I wasn't sure if the pill increased their cognitive skills or not, but they seemed rather intelligent to me. Not to mention very tame and loving as well. As for their strength and stamina, the pills sure did play a huge role in that. Now they could go on galloping all day without showing signs of fatigue.

In terms of the wagon, Maria, in a fit of outrage, retrieved a hammer and tore it down, and then tossed the rotten wood into the fire. She even threw in the gowns and shoes. "We don't need those," she said. "We have ones that are far better than those sorry things."

I shook my head, a smirk on my face, remembering that day. Maria was a character, to say the least.

But, of course, Maria was right. We didn't need those, and certainly not the sort of gowns those women had already worn and threw away, not especially gowns worn by Quinn's tormentors. As for the wagon, well, it wasn't fit for our very healthy and handsome horses. Hence, I ended up creating one using my magic that'd be suitable for our travel, with all the comfort and amenities. I had even added a family crest with the symbol of a flower blossom and at the bottom with the surname Fairchild, too, and it looked very grand, if I said so myself.