Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 60

Quinn

For the rest of the week, I continued to do the secondary health checks on the residents. Since not only Frances, Eden, and Sara but also Elizabeth, Maria, and Liam had affinity with healing magic, they became my subordinates and had started treating patients, thus easing my workload tremendously. By the end of that week, too, I had even more recruits, some from those who had already taken the health care course, some part of the health care committees, and some from the military department, adding a total of healers as my subordinate to twenty.

It appeared as of now, Norsewood's healer per capita was eight per one thousand people. In my opinion, that was too low, especially when a disaster strikes, such as a monster attack, raid, and war breaking out. I'd like the number to be at least twenty per thousand if possible, and perhaps we could get that once we've finished evaluating the citizens' status and with more returning to Norsewood, too.

It appeared Liam not only had affinity with healing magic but was blessed by Aulla, the Goddess of Healing, too. Hence, his ability to heal was extremely high as compared to the others, and both Elizabeth and Maria were damn proud of him. Not to mention Theo, who had taken Liam under his wings since we had departed Bedford. I wondered if the man had already considered Liam his son, and Maria and me his daughters. The fact that he was steadily courting Elizabeth was not lost on anyone here.

In terms of blessings and affinities, it appeared everyone who had already joined the military unit were blessed with at least health by the Goddess Arena, and had affinity with either fire, earth, water, wood, wind magic, or a combination of any of those. The men and women who had joined Robert in the woodwork department were blessed by at least Oldir, the God of Construction, with an affinity of either wood, earth, fire, metal magic, or a combination of any of those. Meanwhile, Darell and those in his department tended to be blessed by at least Rovian, the God of Blacksmithing, and had affinity with either metal, fire, wind magic, or any combination of those.

Kent and the men and women working in the agriculture department were all blessed by at least Ulra, the God of Agriculture; Imis, the Goddess of Harvest; or Qala, the God of Soil, and had affinity with earth, water, or wood. Mabel and the people in the textile department were blessed by Emis, the Goddess of Craft while Gladys and those working in the kitchen were blessed by Zota, the Goddess of Culinary.

I couldn't believe how close blessings and one's work interests aligned. At this point, I would say that a blessing had a very strong influence on how one chose one's career path, if they had the options. But in a world that was akin to a medieval era with a feudal system of governance, there was simply no choice for the commoners where a career was concerned.

For the nobles and the wealthy, sure, but for the likes of the peasants, it'd be farming the land ruled by their lords, paying heavy taxes, and living in poverty for them. This was indeed an outdated, unfair system where fifteen percent reigned over the other eighty-five.

With the implementation of education and the vocational courses, Norsewood was beginning to shift the balance, and in my opinion, it wouldn't be long before a near equality was met. Compared to every other region of Athol, and indeed, to the rest of this world, Norsewood would be the most progressive, and I, now as its citizen, was damn proud of that.

Apart from everyone getting damn excited regarding their status with blessings and magic affinities as to cause a series of endless chatter echoing throughout the lodge all week, there were also the elderly and those with vision problems, who had double the excitement because their eyes, either plagued by cataracts or glaucoma or simply due to aging or being born with sight conditions, were now fixed from surgery, magically done, or wearing simple prescription glasses.