Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 52

Author Note: I apologize for the late update. I keep forgetting to come over to Wattpad and post. But that will now change. Yay! Just found out you can schedule chapter releases. Finally! This means updates will be consistent (should be every Saturday). Anyways, enjoy the chapter. ^^

Quinn

The Templeton children drew mass attention at lunch when they trooped into the dining hall sporting glasses, some of them fake with bright frames. Mark did a double take upon seeing his wife Frances and son Leo both donning a pair each, while Miles looked stunned at his sons Nick and Michael appearing before him wearing thick ones.

Jonah scrambled off his chair and ran up to his father the moment Aldric came in. As I popped a forkful of creamy, heavenly mashed potato into my mouth, I saw the boy pull out his status card, showing it off to Aldric, who, as usual, looked impassive at he ran his gaze across it. Suddenly, I noted a slight frown.

Giving Jonah the card back, he ruffled the boy's hair, and Jonah flushed crimson on the cheeks, looking mighty pleased as his father said something, probably praising him. The two then came up to the table, and the moment I sensed Aldric beside me, I turned to him.

I was about to give him a smile and lean in for a kiss when I stopped myself short, this morning's scenario flashing into my mind's eye.

That was right, Aldric did not want to kiss me. He did not desire me. He did not love me.

Feeling my heart aching, I returned my attention to my food, which was roast beef served with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables and continued eating. I was just about to pop another forkful of mashed potato into my mouth when I felt Aldric's powerful arm around me, gently pulling me close to him, and I widened my eyes in pleasant surprise. Tense, I turned to look at him, only to be greeted with his gorgeous face descending toward me and his warm lips planting on my forehead.

"Oh..." I expressed, dumbfounded.

When he moved back, he said, "You've worked hard."

I guessed he meant me examining the children and dealing with their antics.

Feeling heat creeping up my cheeks, I said, "Uh, so do you."

"Would you explain to me what Jonah's status means later?"

I nodded. "Of course. I'll add that topic to the list at the meeting tonight. And you have your health check with me this afternoon."

"Mm-hmm." And he turned to eat his meal.

Vincent and Theo were already present and waiting, or rather, Vincent was teasing Maria and Theo was flirting with Elizabeth, when Aldric and I walked into the reception area of the health clinic. Mark, Miles, Caine, Allan, and Uncle Colt were there, too, sitting along the waiting bay. They were probably eager to find out what their status was, having heard about it from the children at lunch.

"I'll take Aldric in and examine him first," I said to Elizabeth, and she nodded.

As I went into the consultation room, Aldric followed me in and closed the door behind him.

"Please sit down, husband," I said.

Aldric sat, and because I knew he was keen to find out about his status, like the others outside, I wasted no time and got started. I first checked his blood, which was all completely normal, and then had his eyes examined as well as the tablet taking a photo of his handsome face.

I wondered if I could ask Vicky to save a copy for me. Better yet, why didn't I just create a camera and take photos of us together?

But wait! Hold your horses, Quinn, I thought. You must sort out clearly what Aldric's feelings are toward you before jumping ahead.