Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 72

It had been two weeks since he had made it out of the dungeon, and since then, Juan had been traversing through one of the most dangerous territories in Eseron, the northern alps. If it wasn't for Red, the little squirrel with the knack for sniffing out not only directions but weak prey such as mountain rabbits, pheasants, and partridges, Juan knew for certain he would have been dead. Of course, the fact that he was a Templeton with blood blessed by the Goddess Isaris and that he was a Norsewood warrior with great fortitude and life skills played an important role in his survival, too. Any normal man, especially those from down south, would have succumbed to the elements and the dangerous terrain already, their body one of the many nourishing the soil on this land that grew harsher every year.

During those two weeks, Juan had been constantly on the move, taking a short rest here and there in the depth of caves or behind jagged boulders, keeping himself as safe and as warm as possible from the harsh elements. The night had always been the worst, for the freezing temperature could really kill, but as a warrior, he knew how to make fire with very little resources, using that to keep himself warm as well as cook what he had hunted.

Despite his situation seeming and feeling utterly hopeless, Juan refused to give in to negative thoughts. His men and the people back at the dungeon had put their faith in him, depended on him to bring back aid, and he'd do whatever it took to accomplish that, even risk his own life if need be.

Indeed, he, too, had been putting his conviction on Red to guide him back to Norsewood, and the little guy had done an admirable job by bringing him all the way here to the border of his homeland. Now, he was putting that trust on the little furry once again as he raced across the woods, flitting between pine trees here and there. He could barely see, since it was dark, and Red's nose was an assurance that'd make sure they'd survive this hunt.

"Which way!" he shouted, puffing out misty haze into the air.

Red, snug and secure in Juan's wooly sweater with his head popped out, sniffed the air for a moment and then pointed straight.

"Are you sure?" he asked. But of course, Red's sense of direction was never wrong, and Juan kept sprinting.

Behind him, he could hear the thumping of heavy feet on the ground, and Juan knew the night trolls were close. They'd continue to chase him down until the sun rose, until the light of the day was too much for their night eyes. He knew they were desperate for prey, and he was that prey, for food in winter was scarce even for them.

Since the border was deserted after the raid and Norsewood citizens had left to find refuge at the manor or elsewhere, these bastards had become convinced that there were no soldiers to protect the land and had proclaimed themselves kings and made this place their den. Sneaking past the area without them sniffing him out was simply impossible, hence here he was, being hunted by a horde that'd surely gut him alive if he ever got caught.

Juan snorted. Caught. Ha! He would not allow that to happen, especially not when he had been through hell and now that he was so damn close to accomplishing his goal at that.

He turned left and saw the edge of the woods. He noted that the sky was getting lighter, too, indicating dawn was near, and he felt a sense of relief.

"Just a little longer," he said to himself.

Red sniffed the air again and tilted his head to one side as he blinked a few times, as if confused. Then he got rather excited and pulled at Juan's shirt to get the man's attention.

"What? You smell something?"

Red pointed to the right as he tugged insistently, squeaking persistently, urgently.

Juan said, "All right. All right. You're the guide." He switched directions and turned right. He sprinted like he had never done before as the horde closed the distance between them. Suddenly, he widened his eyes and swore under his breath as he slowed down. He came to a stop just as he reached the edge of what looked like a steep slope. He said, "Down there?"