Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 69

Quinn

Downstairs, I scurried across the corridor, passing one of the double doors to the dining hall. I noted there were still a lot of people inside, having a fine time. Obviously, Aldric had not ended the celebration yet. But of course, there wasn't any need to if that abnormal movement was not a threat. Aldric would have already acted if it were.

I went into the watchtower and took the elevator up to the top floor where the security control room was located. At the door, a soldier bowed as he said, "My lady," and then opened the door for me.

As I stepped in, I noted that there were several important Norsewood members here. Apart from Aldric, there was Uncle Colt, Mark, Allan, Jacob, Theo, Connor, Elio, and Vincent.

I walked up to Aldric and asked, "Vicky told me there's an abnormal movement?"

Everyone turned at the sound of my voice, including Aldric.

"Lassie," Uncle Colt said. "You came up, huh?"

Aldric, with his face impassive, nodded and said, "It's unusual to see them this close to the border."

I flicked my eyes to the large screen where I saw black and dark purple that was the background of the landscape with a hue of magenta to red orange to bright yellow that indicated thermal heat of living beings. Those ones running in a horde, they were obviously monsters.

"What are those?" I asked.

"Since they're so active at this time of the night," Theo said, "they'd be the night trolls."

"Are they moving their hunting ground closer to our border?" I asked.

"They do that often," Connor said. "Push into our border, as long as there is prey."

"We humans are their prey, lassie," Uncle Colt said.

"But there shouldn't be people living anywhere else in Norsewood except for the lodge, let alone close to the border," I said. "We've rescued all the stranded, haven't we?"

"I assure you, my dear, that we have," Jacob said. "However, that there looked like a man to me."

I turned to the screen again and saw a smaller being in a bright red, orange, and yellow hue sprinting away from the night trolls. The man did a zigzag here and there and then turned to fight a few off, kicking them in the gut and sending them flying across to the other side.

"It's Juan!" Aldric said, his tone tense. "I know the way he fights."

"Indeed, no ordinary man would be able to send a night troll flying, let alone four, like that," Theo said. "Unless he's a Templeton."

"I knew it!" Mark said. "He and his men did encounter trouble."

Aldric turned to look at me for a split second, and knowing what needed to be done, I nodded. To his men, he made his commands, the likes of which I had never seen him do before.

"Send the alert to the soldiers. Theo, Elio, Vincent, you come with me. Connor, you're in charge of the military department while I'm gone."

"Aye, my lord," Connor said.

"Aye, my lord," the others said.

Since this was the first time they were heading out to rescue soldiers being attacked by monsters, I knew it'd be dangerous, and I said, "Aldric, the drones." I turned to Chris Orson, the head of the Watchtower and Surveillance Department. "Send the drones with the rescue team. It will help with finding the missing soldiers and keeping tabs on the monsters. Also, don't forget the tracking and communication devices."