Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 50

Quinn

Drawing my knees up to my chin, I gazed longingly at the other side of the bed. I couldn't believe I had fallen asleep before Aldric arrived, yet again, and I sighed. Oh, well, there was always tonight. After all, I wasn't going to give up. I'd keep trying to wait up for him even if it takes weeks. Now, I had better get ready and start the day rolling because it was going to be damn busy.

After a shower, I put on my makeup, neutral and chic, and then donned another winter dress. Fluffing up my hair, I headed out the door and went downstairs into the dining hall. I arrived just as breakfast started at seven, and since it was early, not many were around. I noted Robert, David, Darell, Kent, Spencer, Grayson, Chris, and Derek, the early birds eager to get their days, and work, going.

Since I knew I'd be done eating before any of the Templetons arrived, I got myself breakfast, which was eggs Benedict with crispy bacon and sliced avocado, and headed over to the men, who were surprised to see me.

"My lady," Robert said.

"Gentlemen," I greeted. "Mind if I join?"

Kent said, "By all means."

I took a seat, and Chris Orson, the head of the Norsewood Lodge watchtower and security, said, "The secondary health check is today, isn't it, my lady?"

I nodded. "It is indeed."

"You will be busy yet again for the next week," Grayson Kerr, the head of Norsewood Lodge maintenance and groundskeeping, said.

I sighed. "I will be. Luckily, I have my little elves to help."

"Little elves?" Kent asked. "You have elves to help you, my lady? How is that possible? There's only us human living here."

"I've never heard of elves being referred to as little," Darell said. "Aren't they just like us except for the long ears? They're quite tall, so I've heard."

"They are," Derek Porter, the man with the green finger from Carnfell working with Kent at the agriculture department, said. "Unless there's another race of elves that are small?" He looked at me, expecting me to explain.

I widened my eyes, realizing I shouldn't use the word elves in this case. After all, elves really do exist here, and they had nothing to do with Santa and working in a factory in the North Pole making toys. They also did not have a long life span like that in a fantasy novel. Rather, theirs, as I've found out, were the same as humans as well as dwarves, demons, and many other intelligent species in this world.

I said, "That's not what I meant. I'm just implying I have helpers in this case."

Almost like the minions, but not the little yellow peanut-shaped creatures that went about being pretty useless and causing chaos in the movies the children here seemed to love so much. There were even some boys who had started speaking gibberish to each other, and a few of them had even requested their mothers working in the textile department to make them denim overalls, too. I suspected I'd be seeing a few sporting those soon, when the garment hall with clothing made by Norsewood people launched and officially opened for business.

"Ah, helpers," Robert said. "You'll need them. Lady Eden and Lady Sara?"

I nodded. "And Maria and Frances," I said. Wanting to know how the departments were faring, I changed the subject and asked Chris, "I hope you're getting used to working with the equipment now that it has been one month?"

He chuckled awkwardly. "We're getting there, my lady. Everything is very... different. We're grateful none of us guards have to be out in the cold, especially at night, all the time while keeping watch. We only needed a few men in the control room keeping an eye on the surveillance screens and a few more making their rounds about the buildings and the grounds. I'm grateful for the change in the system. Is this how guards protect the manor and town where you came from?"