Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 4

Quinn

The cottage returned to its usual quietness after lunch when Liam and Maria left for their duties at Bedford Manor. Alone, I got out of bed and when to sit on the chair near the hearth that still had the fire going, giving out heat in the chill autumn air.

I folded my arms across my chest, my brows furrowing as I stared into space, my mind racing, the scientist within me working hard.

If only I could come up with a method to check what sort of essential vitamins and minerals I was deficient in, like those analyzers in a hospital diagnostic lab. If I could do that with the blood from a finger prick, then wouldn't that be a miracle?

First, however, I had to find out if I could use magic to create a pill or supplement. If I could do that, then in a world where medicine itself was so far behind, this would also be another miracle.

Quinn had liked to learn about magic, despite not being one of the few lucky ones who had been blessed. Thanks to her tireless pursuit in acquiring the knowledge in that field, I knew the basics of how each class of magic worked, via her memory.

Healing, limited to only the physical injuries, did not require performing a magic circle. One could simply chant as I had done before. Although it would be great if I could do it without having to chant, too. I'd figure out a way to do that, since I was a scientist through and through, after all. I supposed in a way, magic was like science. Everything about it was mysterious and unknown until it was observed and experimented upon and then, voila!

Creation and destruction magic, unlike healing, did require magic circles. Once blessed with either of these almighty abilities, one needed to go through vigorous training in a magic academy run by the kingdom. In Athol, there was only one magic academy, and that was in the capital, St. George. Once graduated, the blessed ones would automatically be required to work for the kingdom.

As for the foresight blessing, well, there wasn't much about that in Quinn's memory. In fact, there was none at all. From the name itself, I would imagine it was something similar to clairvoyant.

Since Quinn had been so studious about the theory of magic, doing whatever she could to read those books in Bedford Manor's library, I wondered if she wanted to go to the capital and work for the kingdom. The poor girl. She probably thought that if she acquired enough knowledge, she might be able to get away from here and live a better life working in the capital.

I didn't know. Whatever the case may be, I was with Quinn one hundred percent in leaving this hellhole of a place.

Now, then, let me try it out and see if I had been blessed with the creation magic. Let me see if I could create something like an analyzer that could test my blood.

Spreading my hands out over the table, I chuckled nervously, my heart pounding just a little harder than normal. I closed my eyes and started picturing it, an analyzer, like the ones in a diagnostic lab.

Suddenly, like a film flicking before my mind's eyes, all the different types of analyzers I had encountered or seen, even via the internet while I had done my research during my university years, flashed in my mind's eye. Then the type of tests, liver functions, thyroid functions, full blood counts, hormones, and more, hundreds of them that I was familiar with. There were even ones I wasn't familiar with, too, ones I had only read or heard about. This was followed by the normal range of these tests and then the abnormal and their diagnosis.

Picturing all that took me back to my old life, to me learning how to take blood from my classmates and performing the tests as part of the lab work. It was rather nostalgic. Growing colonies of bacteria in the microbiology lab was quite fun, now that I thought about it, and we students chided and compared which of ours were the best.