Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 65

Quinn

The moment I opened the huge double concrete door of the magic training room, loud banging and blasting reached my ears, and a sense of magical heat enveloped me. I widened my eyes at the sight of Aldric on the other side, two magic circles, one hovering just inches above each hand, spitting fireballs continuously like a tennis ball machine firing tennis ball after tennis ball.

I quietly closed the door, and grinning excitedly, I walked toward the other side of the room, the observation section of the hall where seats were available for an audience. I perched myself on the front one as my eyes glued to the godly being that was my husband who was now beginning to shoot ice lances toward the dummies on the other side while the magic circles spun and turned like gears.

The first one hit the target right on, disintegrating the dummy to dust, and then the next and the next. After that, more dummies materialized, around a hundred of them. These ones were different. They were not stationary, meant for one to practice as a target. No, these ones moved and ran and attacked, like orcs and trolls, or flew and dove down to assault you with their pointy wings and sharp beaks like wyverns. The orcs and trolls even sported nefarious-looking weapons, too.

I watched Aldric starting his own strike, his movement, as usual, smooth and sleek like a warrior assassin, as the monster dummies charged at him. Aldric summoned his magic circles and out came fireballs, blasting at the front ones up close, which was followed by ice lances, the tips of the ice piercing at the dummies, annihilating those farther back.

He jumped high as he fired more hot balls at the monsters with one hand while releasing ice lances up in the air to bring down the wyverns with the other. When he was down on the ground again, landing cleanly and gracefully in the superhero-style pose—the iconic three-point landing—I drooled, figuratively speaking, of course.

When he lifted his head and our eyes met for a brief second, my heart raced, and my girly bits went a little crazy, especially at the dark intensity of his gaze. It was in this instant that something about Aldric changed. Something... powerful and transcendent.

I saw this strange glow around him, as if he was exuding mana, controlling dust particles, merging them into a sort of different energy. Then something, like marks of a tattoo, appeared on his arms and shoulders, and I stood, my eyes wide as it glowed a blue color.

Aldric rose and what could only be whips of lightning magic pierced out of the circles appeared, slashing at the monsters, especially the wyverns up above, slicing them to pieces. I was... entranced.

He fought, using fireballs, fire blasts, fire arrows, wind blast, wind tornado, ice lances, ice swords, ice arrows, and of course the all-mighty lightning whips, which were at least sixty feet long, and as he did, the marks about his arms and shoulders glowed a brighter hue of blue.

I didn't know how long it took for Aldric to completely destroy all the monsters that kept materializing after each one had been disintegrated, but it felt so short, and I wanted more when the hall was cleared, with only Aldric standing there, heaving, his shredded body dripping in sweat and the marks fading.

Dazed, I walked up to him as he waited for me, and stopping inches in front of him, our eyes locked. "You were marvelous," I said softly, breathlessly. "I can never get enough of seeing you working out."

He gently touched my face and said, "I'm glad you like watching me working out."

I smiled and then my gaze drifted to his arms, noting that the marks had completely disappeared now. I lifted my hand and lightly touched him, my thumb caressing his skin, feeling the warmth, the wetness that was his sweat. "Did you know that you had these strange marks on your arms and shoulders when you use your magic?"