Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 51

Quinn

My first group of patients was the Templetons' children and their mothers. When doing a health examination here, it was not a single patient by patient. Rather, it was a whole family case since that way it was easier for me and the families. Hence, the consultation room was packed, with the seats filled up with little ones wiggling about here and there. Luckily, there were Frances, Eden, and Sara, and of course, the nursemaids to help keep them well-behaved, while Maria and Elizabeth were outside working as receptionists.

As the heir apparent of Norsewood, Jonah was first, and after he had taken a seat before me, I asked, "You ready?"

Jonah nodded. "I'm not afraid of some needles," he said. "I'm a man and a Norsewood warrior."

I chuckled. "Indeed, you are," I said as I pushed the button on the finger-prick pen. The boy didn't even flinch, which pleasantly surprised me. A drop of blood landed in the middle of the circle of the Health Check Tablet, and within moments, results popped up on the screen. I scrolled through, noting that everything was normal.

Jonah was eagerly looking at the screen, too, undoubtedly reading some of the familiar letters. The older literate children like Jonah and Leo had already started learning the divine language, or rather English, after all.

I said, "Well done, Jonah, your levels are all normal. You are one very healthy boy. Keep it up."

His cheeks turned crimson, and I could see that he was working hard on trying not to smile with glee.

Eden ruffled his hair, pleased. She said, "Jonah has always been sturdy, being blessed by the Goddess Isaris."

I tilted my head to one side. "Goddess Isaris?"

Sara said, "Us Templetons are all blessed with good health and strength. It runs through our blood."

"Ah, I see," I said.

Could that have explained why the Templeton children were less affected by the famine? Sure, they had had vitamin and mineral deficiencies like everyone else, but because they were blessed, that did not severely affect them physically? Could that also have explained why Aldric wasn't affected by that wound and the bacterial infections from the dragon's claws? Because he was blessed by the goddess? If all the Templetons were blessed via their bloodline, would that show up on the aptitude test? I wondered. There was only one way to find out. But first, the eye examination.

I noticed Jonah was about to get up and said, "We still have a few more tests."

"There's more?" he asked.

I picked up the Eye Examination Tablet and said, "This is a magic circle to test your eyesight."

"Eyesight?" he asked. "But I can see just fine."

"I know," I said. "But it's a good idea to test. Just think of it as a baseline so that if anything happens in the future, we can compare."

It didn't look like he understood the meaning behind my words, but he nodded anyway. I lifted the tablet and said, "Look straight into the middle of the circle, and stay still for a few seconds."

He nodded again, and the circle did its magic. Within seconds, a screen materialized with a statement: Perfect vision.

To the boy, I said, "It looks like you have perfect vision, Jonah."

He harrumphed. "I told you I can see just fine."

"Indeed, you can see just fine." I chuckled in amusement. Picking up the Aptitude Tablet now, I said, "Put your hand on this, please."