Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 32

Quinn

When I fluttered my eyes open, it was to the sight of Aldric's gorgeous face, a gentle smile about his sensual lips as he gazed at me. I must be dreaming, I thought, since Aldric hadn't yet returned from the monster subjugation. When I felt his hand cupping my face, however, I knew I wasn't dreaming. It felt too real for it to be a dream.

I brought my own hand up and laid it over his, feeling the warmth of his flesh. I said softly, "Aldric."

"Quinn," he said.

Because I very well couldn't help myself, since I had missed him dearly, I lifted my head and searched his lips for a kiss. It was nice, the feeling of his flesh against mine. When I moved back, I asked, "Are you hurt anywhere? Are the men safe?"

"I'm fine," he said. "And the men are safe."

Relieved, I said, "That's good." Then I wondered how I came to be here. Suddenly, everything came rushing back, and I said, "The lodge! Did I fail?"

He said, "Your magic is still working."

My magic was still working. Ah, that was right. Vicky stated it'd take five days.

Wanting desperately to check on the progress, I moved around in his arms and was about to get up when I realized that I was not in my sleeping quarters. Rather, I was in the great hall, and instead of the usual buzzing of noises, there was this sense of quietness that was not normal. What was stranger was that when I drifted my gaze across the room, I saw everyone had their heads bowed and some were even kneeling. Were they... praying?

I turned to Aldric and whispered, "What are they doing?"

He said, "They're worried about you."

I widened my eyes. They were that worried that they had to pray. I straightened, and as I moved out of Aldric's arms and stood, I said, "I'm fine now, everyone. There's no need to worry."

Heads were lifted then, and Frances said, "Quinn!"

"My lady," someone at the back said.

"My lady," another said as the usual loud noise erupted.

Jonah and Leo came to grab my hands, and Jonah said, pointing at the window, "Let's go look at the castle."

Castle? I drifted my gaze there and saw the golden light in the distance. It wasn't just the light that I saw but the structures of what would be our new home as well.

Chuckling and excited, I said, "Yes, let's."

We—me, Aldric, and the children and some adults—went up to the hill where a frenzy of development was taking place. As I got close, I couldn't help but chuckle in delight. The foundations and structures of the building were already done, and now the walls were being installed. There were workers—magical, digital-like forms of men—that went about their duties. There were even inspectors as well, checking off the building compliance codes.

"Look!" Leo pointed.

"That thing takes them up there," Jonah said.

"Ah, that's the elevator," I said.

The boys turned to look at me, and Max, amongst the crowd, asked, "What's an elevator?"

"It's a mechanical device that takes you up the floors instead of you having to walk up the stairs," I said.

The boys' eyes were wide with intrigue. In fact, it wasn't just them, but Mr. Lamont and Mr. Henley and some other men as well. I guess males were always interested in that sort of thing, weren't they?