Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 41

Strangely enough, Derek knew the moment he saw the young woman that she was different. He felt that there was something mystic and transcendent about her, otherworldly, and he knew that his brother was going to be healed by her—completely and utterly healed—and he felt a sense of hope and anticipation rising in his chest.

Once she pulled the curtain closed, separating them from everyone else in the room, giving them a sense of privacy, the young woman leaned toward Grant and said, "Good afternoon, Mr. Porter. I hope the journey didn't bother you too much. I know riding in a carriage isn't as pleasant as a car, especially with you being so injured and sick like this, but well, we're still very primitive in terms of roads and transportation. I promise, however, that'll soon change. Now then, let's take a look at your injuries, shall we?"

She unzipped the sleeping bag, and after pulling the top away, she removed Grant's clothing with the aid of Tiffany. Once the bandages were removed, revealing the ugly gash which even Derek himself found hard to look at without feeling nauseated, she said, "You're a strong one to withstand this. It's very infected, isn't it?"

Infected? Derek wondered what that meant.

She turned to Tiffany and said, "I need to obtain some samples."

"Yes, of course, my lady," Tiffany said as she handed the young woman a pair of tweezers.

Derek watched as she picked off a bit of the wounded skin and then dropped it into a small bottle.

"Now, I'm going to examine your blood," she said.

Examine blood? Derek frowned, wondering if she was doing a bloodletting like those other healers in the capital routinely practiced on sick patients using leeches. But as he glanced around, he could not find the bloodsucking parasite anywhere.

Tiffany handed her a slim and straight device, which she took at the same time she grabbed Grant's finger. She said, "Just a little prick, all right?"

Pale and frail, Grant nodded.

Derek, as well as his family, watched as the young woman pressed her thumb on what looked like a small nub, and Grant jolted. When she moved the device back, there was a dot of blood on Grant's finger, and Derek realized that the device was something akin to a needle. But he did not see any needle at all. Perhaps it was hidden inside.

After handing Tiffany the device, the young woman gently moved one of her hands, and suddenly, materializing in the air was a magic circle, and Derek froze while his family members gasped in shocked surprise.

"It's magic," Natalie whispered under her breath.

"Magic, Mama," little Cora said. "It's magic."

"Indeed, it is magic," the young woman said, smiling at Cora, who blushed hot on the cheeks at receiving attention.

The woman then squeezed Grant's finger, allowing a little more blood out and letting it drop into the magic circle. Within moments, Derek saw writings in the divine language appearing. The woman then touched those writings and moved them in the air as if by will, which fascinated him.

She said, "As I suspected, you're severely infected with a strand of bacteria." She turned to Grant, a lovely smile on her face. "Isn't it great that Vicky has already identified the strand and is making an antibiotic? As expected, you're also deficient in a lot of vitamins and minerals as well, but of course, we'll get that fixed for you. Now, while we wait for an antibiotic, let's get this nasty-looking thing gone."

What was an antibiotic? Bacterial? And what did she mean by getting that nasty thing gone? Did she mean the wound?

Derek had no time to register what was happening next when the young woman hovered her hand just above Grant's side, and then Derek saw something glowing. Right there before his and his family's very eyes, Grant's gash was closing and his skin healing, and Derek stared in astonishment, until Grant's skin was completely normal. Suddenly, Grandma Liz burst out crying while Grant looked up to the young woman and said, "I'm healed?"