Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 80

Quinn

Aldric, Uncle Colt, Theo, Vincent, and I made our way through the throng of sleeping people toward the double doors, our movement stirred some awake—those light sleepers like the dwarves and elves—and they stared at us in both confusion and suspicion.

At the door, Uncle Colt said, "Step back, this is my time to shine." He grinned as he rolled up his sleeves. Then he summoned his magic and said, "Iron wall!"

The circle glowed as it turned and then materializing was a tall, wide, thick iron wall that flanked against the door. Once that was done, he dusted his hands as he said, "That should keep anyone from barging in for a while."

It won't be for a while. It'd be forever. No one would be able to move that thing without knowing magic.

Now that we were secured from interruption, we got things started. In the middle of the hall, Uncle Colt cleared his throat and then boomed out, his voice echoing all around, "Everyone up! Everyone up! There's no time to waste! Everyone up!"

People jolted awake, some along with cries of fear, and I tsked and said, "You're scaring them. They'll think it's the guards here to torture them."

"Ah, sorry, lassie. Didn't think about that, did I?"

"At least they're up," Vincent said, chuckling.

Indeed, everyone was up, including the children. There was a lot of confusion as everyone looked around, wondering what was happening as questions rang out from one mouth to another and chatter ensued. A group of Mountain Dwarves and Wood Elves came up to us, and one asked, "Who might you all be, sirs, and just how did you even get in here?"

One of the Wood Elves, tall with pale skin and long flowing hair, asked, "And how in heaven did you do that? The door is blocked. How are we meant to get out?"

Juan, who had been updating his men regarding the rescue plan, walked over, and said, "Klein. Les."

The two, along with their group of men and women, were surprised to see Juan, and Klein said, "Juan! You're back? Gael told us you managed to find a way out."

Juan nodded. "And I've returned with help. Everyone is getting out of this place."

Les said, "Is that true? Then we're saved, but how are we meant to leave?"

"We've dug a passageway, a tunnel," Juan said. He patted Aldric's shoulder. "This is Aldric, my brother, the Earl of Norsewood."

Stunned, Klein turned to Aldric, his rugged face expressing his terror. "The rumored Earl Norsewood, Lord Aldric Templeton!"

"And this is Lady Quinn Fairchild, Aldric's wife," Juan said.

"Lady Norsewood," Les said, bowing. "It is an honor."

Wow! The Wood Elves were not only elegant and good-looking, even in rags and skin smeared in dirt and blood from laborious work, but also very gentlemanly.

I said, "Uh, nice to meet you, too, but we have no time to waste."

Juan turned to Aldric who nodded. He then headed to the middle of the hall and said, very loudly, "I'm Aldric Templeton from Norsewood."

"From Norsewood?" a man in the crowd said. "Isn't he that cold-blooded earl?"

"Aldric Templeton?" another asked. "Isn't he that ruthless warrior from up north?"

"My lord," a woman said, running up to Aldric and taking his hand. "My lord, you've come to save us. You've returned to Norsewood and have now come to save us from this horrid place. I'm not dreaming, am I?" Behind her were her husband and children, kneeling and crying as they gazed up at their lord.