Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 34

Quinn

Jonah shrieked, in delight apparently, "The door is magic. It opens by itself."

I said, "It's an automatic door, Jonah. When it senses a person, it opens."

"Oh, wow!" Leo said.

After putting the scissors away into my magic storage, we went into the foyer, which was a spacious area with a marble floor, featured walls, high ceiling, and a grand chandelier. There was a lot of wide-eyed marveling in wonder, of course. Some of the elders even crouched down to touch and stroke the floor with their hands.

"It's so smooth," one said.

"And it's warm," another said, tears in her eyes. I bet just having a warm floor to lie on in winter was something of a luxury for them.

"It's an automatic underfloor heating," I said. A magical one, of course, which incorporated fire and earth elemental magic. The good thing about this system was it would automatically adjust according to the room's temperature, and in summer when it was hot, it'd be turned off.

I led everyone into the dining hall, which was ten times as large as the great hall of the manor and almost as grand as a dining hall on a luxurious cruise ship. It occupied two floors, on the first and the second with the second covering only one third of the first floor. There were two curved staircases on either side of the hall leading up to the second, as well as an elevator.

Here, long tables and chairs were already set up, and after directing everyone to take a seat, with some opting to climb the stairs to the second floor, I stood on the raised platform that was the lord and his family's dining table.

It took everyone a while to settle down since they couldn't stop looking around and admiring and pointing and expressing their excitement at seeing all the new, unfamiliar things.

Since the hall had floor-to-ceiling glass windows on both sides that looked out into the courtyard on the right and the playground on the left, they were staring at it in wonder. The children certainly instinctively knew that the playground was meant to be for them to have fun and they kept begging to go. But, of course, they hadn't a clue how to get out due to the series of manual double doors they didn't know how to open.

Finally, once everyone started paying attention to me, I said, "Welcome to Norsewood Lodge, everyone. This is going to be our home until new houses can be built. Hopefully, that won't take too long."

"But we want to stay here for a long time, my lady," a young man said from upstairs. "This is a castle, and we get to live in it."

I burst out laughing while everyone else nodded their heads or made comments of agreements.

I said, "Of course, you're welcome to stay as long as you like, but I'm sure you all want your own houses, too, don't you? Mind you, your new home won't be anything like the wattle and daub cottage you used to have. Your new home will be built out of better materials like this lodge and will have all the basics essentials you'll see in your unit later."

"Truly, my lady?" a woman asked.

"Yes, truly," I said. "Now, I'm going to hand it over to Vicky who will introduce you to the lodge, so listen carefully as there are many spaces you can and can't enter and there a few rules to follow as well. So, without further ado, here's Vicky." I summoned my magic circle and a gigantic screen that panned the size of the wall materialized.

Vicky, in the form of a fifteen-year-old girl wearing a cute school uniform, started. Hello, everyone, my name is Vicky, and welcome to Norsewood Lodge. Today, I'm going to show you the layout of the lodge and where everything is. A floor plan of the lodge appeared on the screen. We are here in the dining hall. This is a general area for dining and entertaining. Upstairs is also a dining and entertaining area. To go upstairs, you can either use the stairs or the elevator.