Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 76

Quinn

If Juan looked dazed and a little lost last night, he was even more so this morning, his eyes darting here and there, gazing at his surroundings in marvel. I guessed it'd take him at least a couple of days to get used to his new environment, especially when he had been used to living in squalor, which was a vast contrast to the fine luxury.

The dining hall was packed, as usual, but unlike normal, it was rowdier with the soldiers and Norsewood citizens forming a thick wall, crowding around Juan. It had been late last night when he arrived, so most of them hadn't seen him until now. And that little squirrel, Red, seemed to love the attention, too, now that he had gotten used to the new environment, perching on Juan's shoulder and being stroked and petted.

I chuckled and said, "Juan is very popular, isn't he?"

Beside me, Aldric said, "He's liked by everyone."

I raised a brow. "Are you implying you're not liked by everyone?"

"Most are afraid to approach me," he said.

I said, "They're afraid to approach you simply because you're the lord of the land. They know you're busy and stealing your important time away from your important work is considered rude in their minds." I nudged his shoulder. "Besides, they bow or curtsy at you when you pass them, don't they? That's considered a greeting."

"Mm-hmm." He nodded.

The throng of people finally dispersed, and Juan came to the lord's table, taking a seat next to Aldric. When he saw the trays of scrumptious food in front of him, a dark expression appeared on his face. I leaned over and asked, "Is the look of the food not to your liking?"

He shook his head and said, "No. I... There is so much food here, unlike back at the dungeon. Norsewood has never had anything like this before. I suddenly remember my men and the captives."

I had yet to get the full story of this dungeon and the captives, but I'd find that out soon enough, in detail, at the meeting after breakfast.

"We're very blessed to have this food," he said, and then started digging in, a mixed expression of joy and sadness on his face. He seemed to like the meal tremendously, especially the eggs Benedict, and of course, the crispy bacon, and he had multiple helpings. Indeed, he was an eater just like Uncle Colt. Must be a Templeton thing because Aldric and Mark, too, had big appetites.

Since Red couldn't eat what we had for breakfast, I summoned my circle and showered him with a pile of nuts, seeds, and dried berries. He seemed overjoyed and eagerly hopped from Juan's shoulder to the small mound and started chipping away.

"Uncle Juan!" It was the voices of Jonah and Leo.

Juan looked up, and when he saw the boys, he burst out laughing. He stood, and with his arms opened wide, he said, "Jonah! Leo!"

Both Jonah and Leo rushed over and threw themselves into their uncle's powerful arms. When the other youngsters came in, Abi and Alex included, there was delightful shrieking and more hugging. Indeed, Juan was loved by everyone in his family.

"A squirrel!" Abi said excitedly at seeing Red on the table, his mouth filled with nuts.

Juan chuckled and said, "That's Red."

"Is he your pet, Uncle?" Jonah asked.

"He was my guide," Juan said.

"Can we play with him?" Abi begged.

"Of course," Juan said, and immediately, Red was surrounded and being pampered. It looked like he was in heaven.

It was an hour later when we were in the conference room up on the fifth floor of the administration building. The people present were Aldric, Uncle Colt, Allan, Jacob, Mark, Miles, Caine, Theo, Vincent, Connor, Elio, Chris, Liam, and of course, me, the only woman, since Eden, Frances, and Sara were busy at the health clinic. We listened attentively as Juan imparted to us what had happened to him and his men.