Chapter 19

A/N -- Happy hot, hot, hot summer, dear Beatlemaniacs! It's been so hot here that everyone stays inside the house, just as if it was below zero in Alaska! On the other hand, the Los Angeles Dodgers are on a different kind of fire and it's been so ...

A/N -- Happy hot, hot, hot summer, dear Beatlemaniacs! It's been so hot here that everyone stays inside the house, just as if it was below zero in Alaska! On the other hand, the Los Angeles Dodgers are on a different kind of fire and it's been so much fun winning. Baseball has become my distraction as I wait for the hockey season to start again! Things in Beatle Town are about as confusing as they can get---Kate and Vladimir, Kate and George, George and Ingrid and there seems to be a problem with the mail....????

After Kate had been home for several weeks, she had calmed down enough to write a letter to George. She hadn't heard anything from him and she found it strange. Maybe he was letting her cool off. Just speculation, of course. Their wedding day had come and gone and despite Vladimir's encouragement to leave her room, she cried all day with the door locked and the drapes closed.

The next day she was up with the sun, ate, dressed and headed over to The Conservatory before Vladimir even stirred in his bed. She worked that morning in the faculty dining room and rushed to make it to Master Elsner's class. He demanded punctuality and was known to deny entrance if a student was late.

"My dear Kate," he greeted her as usual. "Another day with you and Beethoven?"

Kate scrunched up her nose. "Can't I learn something else? I mean I'm not performing it, I'm just playing it to have it in my repertoire. Can we set it aside and tackle Liszt or Chopin or more Rachmaninoff, or anything? Maybe some other genre's? There's jazz and blues and rock 'n roll, and the Louisiana sound and hymns and show tunes and a million different pieces of music. I'm teaching young pianists. They are going to want something more up to date along with the classics."

"If I arrange a budget for this...a class perhaps studying different genres...will you take on the responsibility?"

"Of course," she answered brightly.

"All right then. I will keep you up to date on the progress. But for now, what do you want to play?"

Kate appeared bashful. "Well, Master, I just happen to have a little Jerry Lee Lewis sheet music in my bag......"

...............................................

July 12, 1961

Dear George,

I'm sending this to your mum's because I'm assuming you're home from Germany by now. I really think we need to see each other and talk. It has taken some time for me to calm down and talk without crying. I'm imagining you already have seen Ingrid and know what happened.

If it's Ingrid you want, please tell me or maybe just throw this letter into the trash.

Either way, I want you to know I love you and always will. The silver heart necklace is still around my neck. But I'm not sure what to do with our wedding rings. I can send them to your mum's if you want.