Chapter 25

George and Ringo's apartment - Whaddon House

                                 George signing marriage license at Registry

A/N -- Hi dearest Beatle people! Hope your week is going well. Having some cooler weather coming through--only hitting 90 degrees during the day and 60's at night....thank heavens. Anyway, we are down to the last few chapters of the George and Kate saga. Wedding bliss on tap just ahead! And hopefully, no one will mess it up for them! But you know, there's always a problem! :-) Enjoy! love, Lara xo

They chatted the afternoon away and Kate finally left at 6pm...only after eating dinner with them at mum's insistence. She arrived home at 8:30pm and noticed that the group of fans outside the apartment had grown since yesterday. There was consistently about 6 girls that manned that sidewalk day in and day out. On weekends, the numbers would double. But now, on a Tuesday night, there were already a dozen there.

Generally, it was like the parting of the Red Sea when Kate would head for the locked entrance. Today, they were emboldened by their numbers and a few stood in her way.

"Who are you?" one fan asked. "You George's girlfriend?"

Kate smiled, lowered her head and continued walking.

"What? Not good enough for you to talk to?" she snipped.

"Just a friend," Kate answered, looking directly at the girl.

"You're an American?" She sounded shocked.

"Yes."

"Well, what's that all about, then?"

"Hm. I don't know. I was born there and he was born here."

"How did you meet him?"

"We've known each other since we were 16. School chums, you know."

Kate tried to smile and walk forward.

"He went to a boy's school," one girl chirped in.

"We were neighbors." Now Kate was getting nervous. George never told her what she could say and not say. And they were crowding around her and getting in her space. "Excuse me, please." She made a concerted effort to head to the door, the key already in her hand. Hearing comments behind her, she frantically unlocked the door and walked in, trying to appear calm. Sprinting into the elevator, she punched their floor and finally stopped hyperventilating once the doors closed.