Ch. 40

Hermione's POV

I paced back and forth nervously in the guest suite at Malfoy Manor, avoiding the large mirror that was on the other side of the room. While I knew that it was normal to be nervous on wedding days, this felt like a different kind of nerves and I couldn't quite pinpoint the cause.

The bedroom door busting open caught me by surprise and I jumped, calming down when I realized that it was only Ginny and Pansy.

"We're here!" Ginny announced, holding up two black dress bags as Pansy triumphantly held up the large white one that held my wedding dress with a smile and hanging it on the closet door hook.

After hanging up the black dress bags on the other closet door's hook, Ginny turned around and bounced up and down excitedly as she exclaimed, "You're getting married!"

I couldn't help but smile back, the excitement temporarily overruling my nervousness. Ginny then raised an eyebrow at me before leaning down to rifle through her personal bag that she had set down on the ottoman, looking up at Pansy briefly and saying, "I told you we'd need to grab it; look at how nervous she is!"

As she pulled out a large bottle of champagne I laughed and scrunched my nose up at her. "I seem to remember a certain someone being an absolute wreck on her wedding day!"

"You can blame that on my mother," Ginny said while rolling her eyes and pulling out a large bottle of orange juice as well.

Pansy summoned a set of champagne flutes from elsewhere in the manor while giving us a somewhat fearful look. "She can't have been that bad, right?"

With a forced laugh, Ginny said, "She forcibly cut my eldest brother's hair on his wedding day when he refused to do so. Don't even get me started on how she acted on her only daughter's wedding day."

"Oof," Pansy muttered, shaking her head and summoning the champagne towards her. "And I thought my mother was bad when I got married to Blaise."

"Speaking of mothers..." Ginny smiled at me. "Where are Jean and Narcissa?"

"Narcissa's doing last-minute preparations and Draco is actually escorting Jean around the venue," Pansy answered quickly, giving Ginny a look. "They'll be joining us later today."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "You sound like there's something being planned that I don't know about."

"What's the point of a surprise if you know what to expect?" Pansy smiled then before reaching over to pat my arm. "Don't worry, absolutely nothing will interfere with your wedding day."

"Are you kidding, Lucius would have a bloody fit if anything ruined today," Ginny grinned.

"Yeah, let's not invoke the wrath of my future father-in-law," I said with a laugh.

Pansy quickly opened the bottle and filled the three glasses up about halfway as Ginny followed behind, filling the rest with orange juice. She handed the first glass off to me and smiled before asking, "I know you're nervous, but I hope you're excited as well."

"Oh I am!" I said happily. "I guess it's just the usual pre-wedding jitters, you know?"

They both nodded in understanding and Pansy squeezed my arm with a smile. She then gestured towards the white bag holding my dress and asked, "Are you excited to actually wear it for real?"

Looking towards the bag, I hesitated before smiling. "Absolutely! I feel like it's been a long time coming now."

I could feel both of them raising an eyebrow at me and I quickly took a drink from my glass, trying to think of a way to change the subject.