Ch. 4

Hermione's POV

The guilt continued to twist its way around my stomach for the rest of the time we spent on the London Eye, and I knew Draco could tell. After quietly exiting the capsule and saying goodbye to Elliot, we made our way down the street in silence. It wasn't one of our usual comfortable silences, at least not for me.

"What would you think about getting a house?" Draco asked after a little while, finally breaking the silence between us.

I gave him a surprised look. "A house? I mean, eventually yes, I would like one."

"I know the lease on the apartment was extended another year after you moved in so we've got it until the end of October," Draco said. "But it wouldn't be too hard to break the lease if you would like a house sooner rather than later."

I thought about this quietly for a few moments, weighing the pros and cons. On the one hand, I did really like the apartment and it was the perfect size for us right now. It was also in a great location, close to both of our offices. But then again, a house for us would be wonderful too.

Then I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow and asked, "Are you asking this with a house already in mind, or are you hinting that you'd like to start looking?"

"Looking?" He laughed. "Oh no, sweetheart; we'd build our own!"

I stopped in my tracks and stared at him. "Build?"

"Of course!" He stopped as well and smiled down at me. "Just think of it: our very own home designed with everything you and I could ever want or need. Built just for us, and no one else."

The smile slowly crept across my face as the idea started to grow on me. "That does sound really nice..."

His own smile widened as he wrapped an arm around me and we continued walking. I then nudged him and said, "As long as it's not as large as your parents' manor. We don't need that much space."

"I'll have to agree with you on that," He laughed. "Most of that space is still unused. But I'd say at least...five or six spare bedrooms? Not including the master suite, of course."

"Merlin, Draco, how large of a house are you wanting?" I exclaimed, looking up at him with wide eyes.

He laughed again and squeezed my side. "Nothing too large! I just figured we'd have a few extra bedrooms in case we have multiple guests!"

"But most everyone already lives in the area," I said with uncertainty.

"Well remember, we did talk about having kids so there's the possibility of having at least one of them be a kid's room," Draco said.

"Oh, true." The thought made me blush slightly. We hadn't really discussed the idea of having kids since our last...discussion that had gotten a little heated.

I felt another squeeze at my side as Draco smiled down at me. "We can talk more about a house later. I just wanted to see how you felt about it."

"I do think it's a great idea, but I also think we should wait a little on it," I said with a nod.

He nodded in agreement and we continued walking until we made it to a safe spot to apparate back to the apartment.

"Alright, so we've got a few hours until I told my parents we would go meet them," Draco started as he pulled his coat off. "What would you like to do? The Eye didn't take as long as I thought it would."

"It was still fun, though," I said, unbuttoning my own coat. "Well, until..."

He held up a hand and gave me a soft smile. "Please don't worry about that."