10🔨

I am not sure what it is about Chesney but I really like her

I am not sure what it is about Chesney but I really like her. It's been a long time since a woman invaded my head space.

Most women are just too much trouble but this one can hold her own that's for sure.

I started pulling the lumber out of the back of my truck and carrying it over to the arch area.

I worked until lunchtime and then set on the back of my truck bed to eat what I had packed this morning.

I looked up and Chesney was coming my way and I couldn't help but smile.

"I am having Dwight make some lunch if you would like some."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "What is the chef making?"

"Finger sandwiches and fruit salad. Come inside and get out of the heat. We can eat in my office if you don't want to be near Dwight."

"The kitchen is fine. Thanks for including me."

I set my bucket in my front seat and followed her inside. When we made it to the kitchen Whitney was already in there.

"Hey, Whit!"

"Hey Stone! I am sorry about last night."

I looked at Chesney and she rolled her eyes. "I told her it's not her fault."

"It was fine Whit." I smiled sitting down beside Chesney.

I watched as The Chef brought plates over to the counter and sit it down in front of us.

"Anything else I can get for you two?" He asked.

"Just some lemonade please Dwight." Chesney smiled.

Once the glasses were in front of us I lifted mine and we clinked them together.

"Thanks for the lunch, Chesney."

"You are more than welcome Stone. It was too hot outside to be eating a sandwich."

"Yeah, but I'm used to the heat but this is nice thanks." I smiled.

Once Dwight walked out of the kitchen the lunch got better but I spoke too soon when Clay walked in the kitchen.

"Chesney, can we talk?"

"Nope." She said eating her fruit salad.

"Come on stop being mean to me."

"Being mean to you? Please! Can you see that I am eating lunch and I don't wish to talk to you now? We can talk later."

"Fine!" He hit his fist on the counter and walked out.

"You know you could go talk to him."

"I don't care to Stone. I can talk to him later."

"Alright who am I to get in the middle of sibling squabble."

"If truth be known he probably came here to see Whitney anyway."

"You are probably correct." I laugh finishing the rest of my sandwich.

"Want some cobbler?"

"Same as the other day? Yeah sounds good."

"Dwight knows that cherry cobbler is my favorite and he keeps one on hand."

I grumble and she laughs as she scoops out the ice cream.

"I think you have the wrong idea about Dwight."

"No, I am usually right about people."

She smirks and gets out the cobbler and places it on the counter in front of me.

"Ok, then I won't say anything else Stone. So how is it going outside?"

"I got some of the arch built but won't get it finished today."

"Are you going to need more wood?"

"Not for it, no but I will for the bench that you want to be built."

"I'm sorry." She makes a face.

"No I don't think you are but you do have an ice cream mustache."

"I don't have a mustache thank you."

"You are spicy but yes you do of ice cream maybe not of hair."

"Thank you for clarifying." She laughed.

We finished our cobbler and Dwight came back out to take our dirty dishes and I decided it was time to get outside.

"Thanks for lunch but I better get back to it."

"Thank you for having lunch with me Stone."

"I think I should be the thankful one." I smiled and give her one more glance over before going back out into the hot sun.

I grabbed the screws from my truck and went back to the arch.

I was busy screwing stuff in when Clay walked out. "Hey man."

"Hey Clay!"

"How mad is she?"

"She's pretty upset with you. Are you staying around to give her a ride home?"

"No I have to meet up with someone at the station but I wanted to give her a house key but she won't talk to me. Can I give it to you to give to her?"

"Sure man and don't worry I will drop her off on my way home."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I don't mind. Your sister is nice and we had a good time together last night."

Clay smirked at me. "I know I was a jerk but I really wanted to take Whitney out and wasn't thinking."

"I get it. You were thinking with the wrong body parts."

"Maybe but she wasn't interested in that or well I should say I didn't offer that up last night and I hope you didn't with my sister."

"Honestly Clay I don't think it's any of your business what your sister and I got up to and if she wanted you to know she would have told you."

"What the fuck?? Did you sleep with my sister?"

"Maybe you should ask her," I smirked.

I am getting myself in hot water but I hope this shows Chesney that she can trust me and that I won't repeat anything that she tells me.

Clay turns around and stomps back in the door and I can't help but laugh to myself as I screw in a few more screws.

I would never kiss or tell but I don't think she's interested in me that way. If she was she didn't show it. The most she showed is how much she loves Cotton.

I laugh to myself and wipe the sweat off my forehead as I see Chesney walking in my direction and either she found what I told Clay amusing or she's coming to chew my ass out.