Chapter 21: Retrieval pt. 2

There was shifting against your back that soon left and you hit the ground with a groan. Slowly you opened your eyes and was met with large yellow eyes staring down at you. Navjeev smiled and licked your face much to your dismay. You gaged at the smell of his breath and pushed him away. 

"Ew! Learn to brush your teeth. That is disgusting!"  You glared at him and wiped away his slobber with your sleeve. He stuck his tongue out at you then walked away into the trees. 

You sat up, using your arms to prop yourself up then looked down at the somehow still sleeping Speedstinger laying beside you. Now in the daylight, you could see it was a golden yellow color that faded to an orange on the sails. The stinger at the end of its tail was still a red color like most Speedstingers. Based on smaller sail on the dragon, you guessed she was a female, but it was kind of hard to tell since the sail was a bit torn. She was also very small, smaller than most Speedstinger hatchlings. 

You were given the chance to look around the area a bit better now. There were two nests, it must have been a small pack since there were only two. There was also a few patches of singed grass around you. They must have been attacked by some dragons and had to run, but it didn't make much sense, why didn't they just attack and protect their nests? From the looks of it, the Speedstingers must have trampled the baby while trying to get away from their attacker and just left her here. 

You shifted slightly and she lifted her head, looking around quickly before growling at you with a raised stinger. You quickly scooted away and she lowered her stinger, though keeping her narrowed eyes on you. 

There was a crash in the trees followed by lots of chirping. A few moments later Navjeev popped out of a bush with a bird hanging out of his mouth. He stared at the Speedstinger for a moment before dropping his bird and walking off again.  

He returned again and cautiously walked over to the Speedstinger. She glared at him and shook her stinger almost like a Rattlesnake would. Navjeev regurgitated a fish and backed off, fetching his bird and digging into it.  You watched at she took and fish in her mouth and swallowed it. 

You noticed that the claw marks had bled through on some parts of the bandages. You scooted closer to her again and sat on your legs as you watched her.   

"Ravi."

 It meant 'The sun' and with her golden color, you thought it suited her. You liked names with meaning, Navjeev's meant 'The ever fresh life.'  She looked at you confused and cocked her head to the side.   

"Listen, I need to treat your wounds again and then I can get you more fish." Yes, you were talking to a dragon even though she probably couldn't understand you.  

She huffed and layed on her side. You scooted closer and she watched every move you made. You pealed away at the bandages to reveal long, red claw marks from her shoulder to her flank that headed down her leg. 

You dampened a cloth and ran it along the marks to clean off the blood before adding some herbs to help with the pain and to heal it. You wrapped her torso and leg in a bandage and scooted away from her. She sniffed the wrapping then looked at you and chirped. Doing as you promised, you threw her a fish. 

"For not stabbing me." She took the fish as you began packing up your stuff to continue your first mission. Get the lens. One problem, you couldn't really leave Ravi here by herself, she would die. 

Three options: One, forget the mission and take her back to Dragons Edge. Two, leave her here and go for the lens then hope she's not dead when you return. And three, take her with on the mission and hope no one dies or gets caught all while trying to get the lens.