Chapter 34: Not Alone

"This must be their island." I whispered to Viggo who was crouched down behind a bush beside me. 

"If the map is true, then it is." His eyes flickered over the village, studying it and taking in information of their set up. 

"I expected there to be more people here." There was only a few vikings walking around, doing chores from the looks of it. 

"Most of their people may be on the boat that's been following us." Viggo pointed out before casting his eyes over to a few of the houses "And from the looks it, they were just under attack." 

He slightly pointed over to a few of the houses. Scorch marks covered most of the houses which made me wonder if they had captured any of the dragons that attacked. 

I moved past Viggo and carefully made my way around the outskirts of the village using the bushes as cover. I made sure to study the village as well. The village was fairly small and the houses either looked really old or new. They had a few sheep and chickens in pens, some of the Vikings were tending to them. There were a few fields that had crops growing. Most of the Vikings looked like farmers but there were a few Vikings that walked around on patrols and carried spears and crossbows. 

I made it to the other side of the island, Viggo following a little ways behind me. Five large cages sat in a clearing surrounded by trees and I saw a few dragons inside. There was no one back here guarding them, they must not have random people show up and free their dragons very often. 

Good for us. That makes things easier. 

Viggo and I waited a few minutes to see if any patrols came around but none did. I nodded to Viggo as a 'I'm going, watch my back'. He dipped his head and I silently crept out of the bushes. I went up to the first cage which held a Zippleback, my eyes glancing back to a path that led from the village to here every so often to watch for patrols.

The Zippleback was surprisingly calm, in fact all the dragons looked that way. They must have some kind of fruit like the Defenders had to keep the dragons calm. 

I began to pick the lock with a pin I had on me. There was a click and the cage door slowly swung open and the dragon walked out, looking down at me before flying off. 

I did the same to three other cages and the dragons all flew off, no patrols in sight. The last cage was more under the trees and had a tarp covering it. 

I looked at the path one last time before walking up to the cage. My hand reached out to pull the tarp off when I was pulled up into the sky and was wrapped in a thick net. My heart was pounding in my chest as the jingling of bells sounded an alarm above me. 

I saw the worry on Viggo's face as I heard the shouts of people coming down the path. Quickly, I reached into my boot and grabbing a small dagger and started to cut the thick rope that held the net. This was a trap made for a dragon not a person. 

While I was dangling over-head like a piñata, Viggo grabbed his sword and fought the patrol of six vikings. He ignited the sword and the vikings backed off a bit before rushing at him again. 

I heard Zyran growl as she jumped out of the bushes and swiped her tail at the vikings, Ravi appeared a moment later. I heard the roar of a Falcon Fury and a flash of brown dove past me. I looked down to smile at Navjeev. 

This dragon lacked a saddle and was larger. 

My eyes widened at the sight of this Falcon Fury. It blasted at the vikings and almost hit Viggo while doing so. It's thin pupils turned toward the covered cage then hissed and slashed at the Vikings who lost complete interest in Viggo and now went after the Falcon Fury.