018 ━━ behind bars

━━━✦━━━

SOME PEOPLE might consider Iona an animal.

A fearless murderer, a heartless leader, an uncaring warrior; all traits of a beast, a monster, are they not?

In her village, Iona is feared. She is respected but feared. After all, everyone within her village puts their life in her hands- something that perhaps sounds even more ironic after the massacre- and they all rely on her for protection.

Iona makes the hard decisions that others cannot, and she carries the burdens they couldn't ever imagine.

For that, she will always be considered an animal within their eyes.

A rabid dog, perhaps, or a fierce panther ready to strike, or maybe even a doe that continues to run from their problems. Regardless of what she does, someone will always disagree, and new opinions will be made every day.

At this point, she's gotten used to the judgment and it fails to bother her anymore.

Now, however, she truly does feel like the animal people have called her so often. Trapped within a cage, stripped of most of her clothing, her katana nowhere to be seen, and surrounded by her people.

The very same people that trusted her to get them out of that hellhole- and now, she wonders what they must be thinking.

One of their few remaining saviors has been captured just like them. The very best of them, their commander, their fearless Akru, has been apprehended.

Iona wonders if there's even any hope left in them.

She stares forward, eyes meeting those of one of her fellow Trikru Grounders, and the look in her eyes says it all:

There is no hope, not anymore.

And perhaps, for the first time ever, did Iona Valana fear for her life.

━━━✦━━━

"Where is she?!" Lexa yells angrily.

Two days had passed; two days since Iona told her she was going on a hunting trip; two days since Lexa had even heard the name Iona, let alone see the woman.

"Where is Iona?"

Indra searched the village three times over, and it was when no results had been produced that Lexa finally approached Clarke. She hadn't been gentle, and she was sure that if Iona had been there, she would've been proud of her cousin.

Holding the Sky leader against a wall, Lexa kept her arm pinned against her neck.

"Where is she, Clarke?" Lexa snarls, "You think I didn't realize she disappeared when Lincoln and Bellamy set off? Where is she?!"

Clarke shakes her head, "I-I'm sorry, Lexa. She's already in Mt. Weather."

Lexa stumbled back, holding a hand over her chest.

For a moment, she felt like hyperventilating.

Her cousin, her remaining family, her best friend. Despite their arguing and disagreements, Lexa never once wished for harm to come to the woman- and now, she felt as if this was partially her fault.

"Guards!" Lexa called, her voice wavering, "Troops- I-I need troops. Now!"

Lexa began to shake with both anger and concern. She sent one last disappointed look to Clarke before storming out of them, grasping for her sword.

She needed a battle plan- and she needed it fast.

━━━✦━━━

It wasn't until later than Bellamy was dragged into the same room. While Iona was always being dragged back and forth for her blood, Bellamy was instead left to rot in the cage somewhere behind Iona.

She wasn't really sure where he was, she just recognized his voice when he called out to her. Iona found it increasingly harder to move. Her arms were numb and bruised, the cut in her side hadn't been treated and properly and she was sure Reiki would be furious about the infection she knew she had.

Iona's hands were shaky and unstable, and they only seemed to get worse with each test. She was given limited water and food- but she was sure it was only the minimal amount so she could give proper blood samples- and her body was beginning to face the consequences.

The noise was deafening in whatever room Iona was being kept in.

The prisoners were sure to bang against the cages- it was a wonder they hadn't toppled over-, but their true fear was apparent.

They'd instantly simmer down once the guards entered the room, and concerningly, Iona managed to open one eye just in time to see Bellamy get dragged away whilst unconscious.

However, she didn't get to mourn- so to speak- for long, as the guards returned slightly after in order to retrieve her.

She tried to fight them, but Iona was rendered far too weak, and merely went limp in their arms.

All she hopes is that she can escape this hellhole she's found herself in.

━━━✦━━━