071 ━━ a new mission

━━━✦━━━

Iona had debated attending the memorial for the past few hours. It wasn't like she didn't want to go and support the Skykru in honoring their people, but more so how it felt to partake with them.

It felt wrong.

She hardly knew any of the people that were stuck in that mountain, and regardless of how sorry she might feel for their loss, she has-well, had no emotional attachment to them whatsoever.

Plus, she knew Bellamy would be there; and that was where she became incredibly conflicted on the matter.

Iona wanted to see him, yes, but she didn't want to disrupt the moment that was dedicated to his dead girlfriend. Not only was that morally wrong, but it was just plain criminal, and despite her dislike for the woman, she'd never be so petty.

So, instead, she sat in her room, bouncing off the walls as she tried to prevent herself from showing up and crashing the memorial service.

At first, it was sharpening her katana, then she realized it was too sharp and was merely ruining the blade. Then, she found some paper and played a round of tic-tac-toe with herself, which got boring rather quickly.

Finally, she just started working out.

Iona prides herself on being fit.

Of course, when you live in a world like this, you have no choice. Stay healthy or die- those are your choices. She didn't make it herself, though. Fitness was forced upon Iona from a young age. Constant training, scavenging, running; whatever you can think of.

Iona didn't give up as she grew up. Her habits stuck with her, from morning runs to intense physical combat training that left her sweaty.

Working out is therapeutic for her, in a sense.

Changing into her lightest clothes, she tied her hair into a thick braid, and then headed outside to run circles around the premises. She stuck to the narrow paths behind buildings and tried her best to stay away from the memorial service.

Darting down the worn dirt road, she cut the corner and paused once she saw the medical building. Nyko was in there- unsupervised, by the way- and decided her run could wait until later.

Iona huffed, heading inside.

━━━✦━━━

The energy in the medical wing was uncomfortable, to say the least.

Iona, gaze heated- not a warm, caring gaze, but a scorching hot stare that could make anyone quiver- and intense; Nyko's gaze icy, unwavering, as he met her eyes without fear. If anything, he was challenging her to speak.

Once the conflict has subsided by the gates, Nyko and his injured friends were immediately placed in the infirmary.

She had been worried at first, then it shifted into subtle anger towards the man. Iona didn't particularly dislike Nyko, but she wasn't as fond of Trikru anymore, nor was she very big on the idea of him relying on Skykru to take shelter.

Octavia and Lincoln liked him- he was Lincoln's best friend, after all- but she hardly shared their sentiment.

Iona tolerated him.

She'd heard of how he tried to kill Lincoln before, and hardly proved himself trustworthy afterward. He gained Octavia, Clarke, and Lincoln's trust very quickly, but for a woman that rarely trusted anyone, she drew the line.

"When's it gonna end?" Nyko suddenly asked.

Iona raised a brow in confusion, staring at him wordlessly in hopes of getting him to reveal what exactly he was inquiring about.

"Your Skykru act."

Iona tsk'd, shaking her head, "Who says it's an act?"

"You don't belong here," Nyko said simply. It wasn't said with hatred or judgement, but purely a basic observation. "Lexa is willing to take you back; you know that, right?"

Iona shifted uncomfortably against the wall, leaning her head back to stare up at the ceiling. "I made it clear I didn't want to be her toy anymore. She kidnaps me, I leave. She tries to reinstate me, I leave. Simple as that."

Nyko observed her from afar. Glancing back at one of the cots with one of his injured friends, he hesitated.

"Do what you wish," Nyko started walking away towards the cot, but Iona could still hear him speak, "but remember your choices when she's no longer with us."

It took a minute for his words to register in her brain. Once they did, though, she was pushing off the wall and running towards Nyko, grabbing his arm with a sturdy grip and forcing him to look at her.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Iona narrowed her eyes, "Is that a threat?"

Nyko shoved her off, grumbling, "You don't know?"

"Know what?" Iona demands.

Nyko hesitates for a second, eyes observing the panic-stricken look taking over her face. Regardless of what Iona might say, she cared for Lexa more than anything. She's never hidden that, and she never will.

"Lexa has been challenged to a duel by the Ice Queen," Nyko reveals, and instantly, Iona's face drops, "She will not allow for anyone to be her champion."

Within seconds, Iona was gathering her belongings and darting towards the door.

"You're crazy if you think she'll let you be her champion, Iona! She won't let a simple guard; let alone the girl she cares about most of all."

"Like hell she won't..." Iona mumbled under her breath.

━━━✦━━━

dont mind the fact that this chapter is bad :D