028 ━━ back into the fray

━━━✦━━━

IONA DIDN'T have fond memories of the mine.

She remembers being stolen from her group, being viciously stabbed in her side, and somewhat betrayed by Lincoln. However, that did not stop her from tying Athena up to a nearby tree and running headfirst into whatever danger may be awaiting her within the mines.

She overheard Indra mentioning something about how Octavia refused to return home, and assumed she'd be a better lead as to what to do first.

When Iona heard yelling up ahead, she drew her throwing dagger in one hand, katana in the other, and stalked around the corner. When she saw- and heard- Clarke and Octavia, Iona nearly let out a sigh of relief.

"Tell me you two have a plan."

At once, they stopped their conversation, turning to the woman leaning in the entrance of the mine. Octavia looked confused and Clarke looked angry, eyes narrowing in apparent frustration and rage.

"What's she doing here?" Octavia hissed, "I thought you said they dishonored the deal."

Clarke hushed her with her hand, crossing her arms over her chest and staring back at Iona with an intense look. The ex-commander just raised a brow, looking as unimpressed as ever, and huffed, "Well?"

"What's Lexa playing at?" Clarke hissed.

Iona's face fell for a short moment- flickering to show her true emotions as if she was operating off of a light switch- but she covered it up well. "Lexa and I came to a... disagreement about how she handled the situation."

Octavia scoffed, "So what? You're suddenly on our side now?"

An image of Bellamy being bled flashed before her eyes and Iona internally shivered, "Something like that."

The three women shared cautious looks between each other, and something in Iona snapped. She'd done just like Lexa: she threw away everything she knew in the hopes of gaining something she wasn't sure she'd get.

It was clear these people didn't trust her- and had little interest in ever trusting her- and Iona's heart sank in both failure and rage.

"Listen, I understand that you guys don't trust me, but I'm here to-"

It was as if things had fallen perfectly into place for the first time in weeks; the door beeped and opened, revealing Bellamy.

Within an instant, all had been forgotten in Iona's brain and she just stared. He looked unharmed- aside from the bruises left on his face from earlier- and Iona was kind of... hypnotized by his presence.

Octavia had jumped into his arms, enveloping him into a crushing hug whilst Iona leaned back against the wall, observing them from afar. Clarke had her reunion, too, hugging him close to her and spewing words of happiness.

He didn't seem to notice Iona at first, his focus on his little sister, but when he did, his eyes flitting over her boots, then her freshly acquired commander's gown- which she didn't even think to remove when she resigned from her post- and open-finger gloves that ran up her arms and underneath the long jacket covering her attire.

Then, finally, his gaze found her face, his eyes fluttering momentarily at the new warpaint she sported. The dark black contrasted against her green eyes, bringing out her irises- of which seemed to be staring holes into him just as he was her- and adding a new layer of intensity he wasn't used to seeing from her.

Her hair was still damp from the washing, but it framed her face, cascading down her left shoulder in a messy braid. For once, she had no blood on her, and Bellamy had no words to describe her other than simply pretty.

Iona felt herself shift on her toes at his stare, stepping closer to him with hesitant steps.

She doesn't know what she was expecting, really.

Maybe a part of her though he'd run over and hug her close to his body like he'd done when she was injured. Perhaps she wanted to stare up into his eyes and feel their proximity through the breath fanning her face.

Maybe she wanted him to look at her with that utter look of astonishment he'd wore when she shared the history of her katana.

Overall, Iona doesn't know. She doesn't know if she wanted his reaction to be positive or negative, joyous or sad, angry or delighted; she doesn't know.

There was something so sickening about that feeling of the unknown that began to pool in her stomach, making her swallow thickly. Was this a new fear of hers? Was she afraid of the unknown?

Whatever it was, it went away as quickly as it came, and the sudden moment of attraction had dissipated into the electric air, and Bellamy took note of the Grounder woman with a nod, murmuring out, "Ona..."

Never did she expect a Sky Person to use that nickname for her. It was one reserved for her family and the people she cared most about- it felt so wrong, yet so right.

But then it hit her: Bellamy was part of her family now, was he not? Clarke and Octavia, too, even Lincoln. They were her new family; all she had left after the crumbling of her former alliances.

Despite herself, she let out a small smile.

The nickname felt right coming from a Sky Person.

It felt right coming from him.

━━━✦━━━

QUICK NOTE:

i dont want u to feel like ionas in love with bellamy. truth is, she isnt. like she said before, shes known him for a week, and it just isnt realistic for her to be head over heels. the reason why she feels so strongly there was because she was relieved shed accomplished her mission, and he was admiring her appearance from afar, which made her feel special, and she did the same to him.

attraction is different from love!!

i promise you will 100% be able to tell when her feelings begin to blossom like REALLY blossom

- love, heather <3